Tuesday, October 23

Words can't do it, only songs can. Only the emotive voice with instrumentation. Visual art can do it too, sometimes, though it's more something I "get" and then eagerly show others, but not something I've the skill yet (or maybe ever) to really express myself in as a creator. I can write though. And I could sing in a band, if only that weren't so cliche and so overwhelmingly stupid and hard to break into. I deeply despise the music *industry* but I love and am utterly enchanted with music.

Where are the people who appreciate nuances in singing voices? Who FEEL lyrics if they know the melody behind them? Where in sum are the people like me? Am I alone on this planet? Am I the only one whose heart rips from his chest when I hear a high note done just right, or the word I was just dying to hear tie off the perfect phrase in a chorus? And then go and try to use typography in some crude fashion to recreate this experience, this sound, the emotion for others, when it shall inevitably be lost on them?

I hate people so much I am surprised myself. I don't even feel like one.

3 comments:

Sara said...

It is paradoxical that you feel alone on this planet when you are surrounded by the many people around you who are the creators themselves of each 'high note done just right.'

Metamatician said...

But there is a wall between me and them. I don't know why. It's because I'm shy in public. I identify with the creators who get it, but am surrounded by and befriended by those who don't (physically in this case). I don't know why I can't meet people in person who are at my eyesight level as far as creativity and intelligence. I guess I get scared off by the ones who are. Or I'm insecure. Or it seems like too much work. Or all these things.

Sara said...

Have you considered joining a philosophy or a creative writing class? Being an adult student is often a good way of coming into contact with likeminded others. its also good for shyness as people generally feel safer expressing themselves in a small group. The thing about shyness is that it makes you so self focused that you forget that others may be feeling just as scared as you. My way of overcoming this when I was younger, was to deliberately adopt an extrovert personality and make myself reach out to other people no matter how uncomfortable I felt, knowing that others struggle in similar ways. Over time I became that person and now find it much easier to reach out because I'm able to feel what other people might be feeling and want to make it easier for them too.

If you can take the first scary step, you might be pleasantly surprised by what follows.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane