Wednesday, May 28

Dark shines a light on the light.

I am currently listening to extremely dark music that is intelligent and contains a lucid philosophy or style-mode which sets it apart from the typical brainless metal/goth/industrial and what have you. To wit: Coil, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Swans, Nine Inch Nails, Joy Division, Nico, Einstürzende Neubauten and onwards into the ever-downward spiral. Rather than being a way of keeping myself down, as it might seem, it is a comfort to me that there are other intelligent beings on this earth who see beauty in sadness as the balance to emptiness in joy, and do not shy away from profound philosophical questions in their music. Compare this to most bands who get airplay now, even so-called alternative fare soothingly wafting around the comfy chairs at Starbucks, and you'll see what I mean. I'm not one to shy away from much (except mind-altering drugs which in your opinion may be my fatal flaw or an acceptable stance given my history with them, even as determined as I was to have a transcendently positive experience). Peering over that edge seems to be built into my essential humours (we now call them genes) and no matter what kind of noble life I try to lead, and show decency to others, I fall under the inescapable curse of my very nature again and again.

In trying to understand this, I am trying to understand my allure to the existentialist, even nihilistic side of music and poetry. I think I've moved beyond the age of glamorizing it, thinking it's cool to be dark, or of thinking it's something which is wholly compatible with self-growth or life in general. It explains life, but like an acid released when the scroll is read, it destroys it too. Nevertheless I will never be satisfied with insubstantial pop or feel-good folk, country, or pub-rock (usually rife with covers tracks) that infest the world from Coldplay on down to David Gray, to cutesy Nashville punsters and who have their stupid material written for them and only provide a voice and a face to the public. People who don't write what they perform and play their own instruments make me angry. There is always time to learn and to become whole. True explorational people (artists we usually call them) extend as far as they can go, into artwork, video, design, installations... always searching for a better way to put across what is in their minds and thus both release the bottled demon and the genie who grants us all our wishes. It is a no-compromise approach to existence, rushed headlong into by the bravest amongst us, the Nick Caves, Ian Curtis's, Michael Giras, Leonard Cohens and many others.

All the rest of music is an exercise in self-congratulations, laziness of intellect, or a desire to find safety inside a created nest, which Buddhism points out is a false safety. Only by constantly exposing yourself to that which you don't understand and oftentimes frightens you will you learn gradually to lose your fear of all things. All people on this earth are human, and so work and play at the level of you and me. They are not demons or angels. What is there to fear from someone who is classified in the same biological taxon as you? Nothing. Other minds may present startling ideas that shake you up and take some time before finding their place in your own world view, and indeed your world view may alter in some ways to accommodate new truths. Traveling - physically or mentally - makes one wiser but less naively happy. Knowledge is the birthright of every being born on this earth, and in the end by knowing all extremes, it begins to become possible to define the topology of not only human consciousness but reality itself. To shun one half for the other leads to false happiness; which is to say, suffering.

And transcending this everyday suffering for a new, holistic and balanced view of nature is a goal of mine, and millions of other searchers besides. I am of the opinion darkness can only exist with light, evil with good, and that these dualities define the endless cycle of being. To cling to one and fear the other gets you nowhere but more and more neurotic. Might as well open your eyes to the truth, because whether you look or not, it's there.

6 comments:

Sara said...

'...All the rest of music is an exercise in self-congratulations, laziness of intellect, or a desire to find safety inside a created nest...'

That's rather a sweeping statement considering the vast expanse of musical expression throughout history. Whereas I agree with your basic premise that there is way too much meaningless muzak out there, I don't feel that every composer necessarily needs to go to the limits of him/herself to create something of beauty. What about the pleasure factor in all this, Meta? People with no musical talent whatsoever, including children are able to derive an enormous amount of pleasure from feeling their hearts lifted by a particular sequence and arrangement of notes and instruments, that may not be especially profound but have the ability to create joy, wellbeing and inspiration to the listener. That's why simple, popular music is in fact, so popular. We may not like much of it, but on some level other human beings are deriving some pleasure out of it. That's not a bad thing you know, just an indication that humanity is incredibly diverse as is music.

Personally, I find it easy. I just switch off the stuff I hate and listen to the kind of sounds that resonate with ME.

By the way, did you watch that excellent Pink Floyd documentary on BBC iplayer earlier this week? I'm not sure if it's still available, but definitely worth watching if you can still find it.

Metamatician said...

Ah, but of course you're right, wise Owl. I swing around unpredictably like a pendulum beneath a flying saucer, and I'm afraid this was one of my less compromising pieces. When I'm not in such a mood, as now, I can of course see the point in "fun" if silly music and understand why so many find it an escape, like a "fun" but shallow movie. I just don't have those moments personally, 99% of the time. But I'm WAY too serious when it comes to all this, too intense, too something.

I have another side though which is quite playful and less judgmental, which likes to sing and (try to) dance, act goofy, see cheesy horror flicks, and will listen to the house music at a club (if you can get me there) and appreciate that it is an appropriate thing in its element. You can't really dance to Nick Cave.

I just seem to always write when I feel militant, and not laid-back and tolerant, and maybe therein lies the problem.

Metamatician said...

Oh, and I did NOT see the Floyd video. Darn! I will look now to see if I can find it or "get" it somehow. Thanks for the heads up.

Sara said...

Wise owl? Not for the next two days, my friend. Coz it's the weeeeeeeeekend and now I'm Roo.

Look at me jumping!

Hans said...

I see said the blind man. I liked hearing why you like the music you do and in a "minor key" way, it fits your moods, like you said most of the time. Find comfort in whatever you can - we all have our reasons for being attracted to things. For me, it's Herman's Hermits (wink).

Metamatician said...

Sometimes I just have to watch Richard Simmons' "Sweatin' To The Oldies" - I'm just in that kind of mood.

I don't even do the aerobics. Just get some popcorn and a drink, get comfy, and watch Richard do his thang.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane