Thursday, February 23

I want the best

When it comes to material things, spiritual things... intellectual things: I want the best. Why wouldn't someone want the best of the choices before him? If I am going to buy a television, I want the one with the best picture. If I pursue an ideology, it has to make the most sense to me. I really don't understand this halfway culture of ours that makes a hero out of compromise.

It makes sense to spend as much as needed to get the best quality when it comes to something that won't go obsolete - headphones/speakers, furniture, cookware/cutlery/flatware, and so on. Why would you want something that performs at a level less than what is currently possible, if it's something you'll use over and over for a number of years?

However, logic dictates another approach when something is evolving quickly, like computers, cell phones, televisions; you should stay behind the expensive curve and buy strategically until the technology plateaus, then get the best. Otherwise, you'll only be throwing money away. Whatever limited use you get from such devices will not justify their cost. Technology is immature (in a rapid growth phase). Foolish is the person who invests more than casually in it.

1 comment:

Metamatician said...

Yeah, I definitely never go into debt for anything. I've stayed away from credit cards like the plague. If I can actually afford something now then I'll consider it; if not, I'll wait or find something else.

As far as "best" goes, I don't think it's always the most expensive or the most-anything else. It comes down to a personal requirement. With most products there's a point of seriously diminishing returns, where you should decide if the infinitesimal gains are worth it to you, or even perceptible.

I guess this contradicts my original post in some ways. I'll amend that statement now by adding "...in ways that are important to you" at the end of "the best".

Thanks for the comment.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane