Friday, July 11

France.

I want to live in France for about five years and learn the language and customs thoroughly - well, as thoroughly as is possible in that amount of time. I'll always be an American, and though I love British culture, am awed by French culture, and respect German culture very much - not to mention many other nationalities worldwide, each with something to offer - I keep coming back to France and the UK as the other "prime movers and shakers" of the last few hundred years. That was where the scientific revolution began (in step with Holland, Germany, Austria, and Italy); That is where excess consumption (a bad thing, but fascinating in its own way) reached its zenith; that (along with Spain, Britain, and Portugal) is where the largest navies and thus colonial trade & conquer policies sprang from. In short, France is on the short list of nations who have shaped the modern world, in my own opinion in this order:

1. Great Britain
2. Spain
3. France
4. Holland
5. The United States

...and you could argue from there. Certainly the Portuguese did their part in "forming"/exploiting the third world; so did Germany to a lesser extent and Italy to an even lesser one. These were the dominant colonial powers and they spread their influence worldwide.

The UK speak English, charming as it is. Spanish I have a rudimentary understanding of still, though I find it not such a pretty language or culture, just personally. This leaves France, at once probably the most sophisticated and scientifically accomplished nation during The Enlightenment as well as the most arrogant and least courageous or savvy in battle amongst the elite powers. It's a study in contradiction, much like the USA, and I find myself drawn by my French blood to discover more of this ancient culture and language.

The cooking, wine, and site-seeing are top-notch, and the language is beautiful, so why not? Not having even stepped foot in the country (The closest I came was Cologne and Aachen which are cities in modern Germany once were part of Charlemagne's France/Gaul), I find myself compelled to visit, and perhaps more than visit. I want to understand the full history, understand the language, and appreciate the Frankish pride that is so often derided. As an American, I can well appreciate that something wonderful can also appear ostentatious or oppressive, depending on who's assessing it. I think France is an important country and I intend to live there for a portion on my life!

4 comments:

Hans said...

As with any culture: just BE CURIOUS, go where the locals go, and don't judge. It's a beautiful place with a variety of landscapes. Paris is unique and it's truly a place to fall in love in and with. A lot of subcultures going east and south in particular from what I experienced. East becomes Swiss or Germanic, south becomes more Italian with it's Roman roots. The Camargue where wild horses run in the marshes and the Rhone goes to the sea has Spanish influences as well as west of there towards the Pyranees. Spanish bull-fighting, old coliseums in Arles. The French Riviera (southern Californa beach weather, but on a huge expensive scale - I didn't go any further than Toulon (naval history), but I also wanted to see the more provencial France. Someday I'll go back and see what I didn't see. I say go for it!

Metamatician said...

Thanks for the overview and the advice. I'll have to pick your brain even more sometime while we look at a map or something. Fun!

Unknown said...

Maybe visit first and then decide if you want to live there.

I've always found Spain much more relaxed and the people much easier to get on with. And, as a bonus, I prefer the wine here too.

Metamatician said...

Well I'm not exactly in any haste, so of course I would visit first.

But thanks for the advice. My plan is to see as much of the world as possible! I especially want to see Eastern Europe, now that they have recovered from being just dominoes in the Soviet Bloc, perhaps meet my friend in Budapest so she can show me around that beautiful (and ugly, like all cities) place, as well as Prague and smaller Czech towns and villages. Anywhere along the Carpathians or up into the Ukrainian breadbasket will do :) I have a long-standing fascination with these countries that is a mix of childhood fears (that's where the vampires live!), teenage angst (that's where the communists live!), and adult curiosity (what an old and proud - yet exotic to us - part of the world, and what rapid changes it has gone through in just the last 20 years!)

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane