Thursday, January 17

Beauty doesn't mean a thing.

Beautiful people who know they are and use it to their advantage are the most worthless, shallow people I know. They don't ever develop other skills like courtesy, humility, or gratitude. Instead they have a built-in sense of entitlement which may or may not be accompanied by an inferiority complex inside. If it's not, they are just truly soulless. If it is, they are indeed sad creatures but not without blame - anyone can better her/himself and not rely on unhealthy and unearned crutches to move through life. But these freeloaders end up lazy and needful, and never develop that discipline which most of the world is forced into, and so are neither charming nor tragic. Just ordinary, flawed, and full of themselves, destined to attract and then hurt people their whole lives and leave a trail of sparkling slime in their wake. They are the politicians, the movie stars, the singers, the popular kids, the heroin-junkie has beens, the pregnant teens, the college burnouts, the prom queen suicides. They are not blessed by their beauty and not noble enough even to be called cursed. They're the useless peacocks of human society that do nothing good for the world and expect a living from it instead, like parasites, and the tragedy if there is one is that they usually find it, and least for awhile. But they will never be happy inside.

4 comments:

Mandula said...

There is a hungarian term/sentence/phrase, which I cannot translate well, but it is about "Respect to the exception" - so most of the beautiful people are like what you wrote, some of them are not (thx to gods). :)

Anyway, I'm smart enough. Now I _want_ to be beautiful. :D

Sara said...

The beauty you are talking about is not beauty at all, but an illusory veneer.

I'd like to take your hand and walk you across the field opposite my house where the buzzards sit and survey the red earth of the fields, and the estuary glints pink through etheric, swirling mists as the sun rises on a cold morning. I'd like to offer you a heartfelt smile of friendship over a sweet steaming mug of spicy chai on our return and know that you also know that beauty is found in the real things of this earth.

Superficial beauty brings hard lessons and possibly many lives in which to learn them. We could perhaps express pity for those that carry a burden they may not even recognise as such.

Metamatician said...

Mandula: I agree that there are exceptions.

Mags: As far as nonhuman beauty I fully agree, or else I would have no soul. When it comes to humans, I have much less sympathy than you do. Maybe I had it before, maybe I will again, but I think people are not basically good, they're basically animals, and animals will do what they can with what they have to get ahead. This may be practical but it's not admirable in any higher sense.

Hans said...

I sense a recent encounter......

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane