Friday, February 1

AZRAEL.
song for dead time

now the past is untrue
and this breath is a lie
and the sun is an emptiness
that burns through the sky
and this ground it'll slide down
down into the sea
and when this body dies
no man will breath one word
of ignorance
for me

so bury your trust beneath the ground with me
and lay your loneliness down for the sun to consume

now the earth bleeds cold water
in my open hands
but their bodies bleed poison
and they swallow the sand
and we'll walk to the river
where we'll die of a thirst
and my fate is no question
every fool he is broken
beneath the same
unholy curse

so bury your love beneath the ground with me
and lay your loneliness down for the sun to burn to sand

(hymnal singing)

-m. gira

***

When I came out of the dream it was through what seemed like miles of liquid. My limbs were as useless as they always are and breath was short; just momentarily I wondered if I could breathe water. But in the backscattering light that filtered down from a point a thousand miles above me, I heard a voice just like mine coming from a mouth that looked like mine, telling me I needed to push on, to break through, or I would be lost. I couldn't explain. I just kept surging forward, limbless and breathless, and the journey seemed to take long long minutes if not hours, and those hours were stretched and skewed and rewound by the watery prison warden that ran this hell.

And then I was free, and I was so high in the sky, with an ocean of turbulent water from horizon to horizon above me, and I fell into the bright air. I don't know how many miles were between me and that person on the ground, shouting for me to go back. I could see him so clearly and his thoughts were all words to me; I imagined I could swoop in like one of the sons of God and then his little playtime would be over. No water dripped into the vast blue void, and the resistance I'd felt before against my face and hands had turned to a vacuuming force pulling me faster and faster like a thousand dead things which had never been alive jumping on my back and hanging from my wet shirt. I couldn't slow down; all I could see was green that never seemed to resolve into any finer detail.

The man was gone. I stood on a tree stump in a small grove near my apartment and closed my eyes against the hostility of the subatomic world. In my effort to eliminate thought, I thought more than ever, arms out like a scarecrow's, legs crossed, head bowed. I suppose people must have thought that I was always like this, so removed. But I wore jeans and my skin had scars and a suntan upon it, and so did theirs. My eyes felt unnecessary. I didn't even want to look inside. I knew it was another layer of the onion, and that I had far to go, but I was lost. You have to be lost to get anywhere. At last I heard a bird in the sky, and then other small noises of leaves and crawling things, and traffic, and the morning came alive. And I was to be seen no more, for now my body twisted about itself inside a chamber of fire, and the heat was like a hundred biting dogs tearing at a bone.

Once again I saw the man, through the small room's thick window, and he beckoned me to escape, that I would be lost if I couldn't somehow push back the gravity of so much heat and break the glass. I think I could see someone upside down behind him, like a shadow against a wall with a mind of its own crawling around in search of detachment. Then I sank to my knees: I couldn't do it, it was just too much. I was too tired. Besides, it would all be over in time. Time... And then I knew the name of that man outside, who now just stood quietly with no expression on his face, and he was just like me, except that his eyes were missing and the sockets were black, and where his mouth should have been there was nothing at all. I screamed my last scream and waited for the flames to take me back to the world of sleep, where I am writing this, so it could be over.

Over for a day, maybe longer if I was lucky.

26 comments:

Unknown said...

You have to be lost to get anywhere.

A wonderful line, so true.

Sara said...

Dream? NDE? Reality? What's reality anyway? Fascinating experience and very easy to visualise but not necessarily experience, because it is yours and yours alone.

You live between two planes. It must be so very hard at times. I intend to watch you freewheeling joyously around the sky when all these earthly shackles come undone.

Metamatician said...

Thanks for reading and for the comments, both of you.

'When all these earthly shackles come undone'

How I wish...

lorenzothellama said...

Bloody hell Meta ...
Lorenzo.

Maalie said...

I would have written an on-topic comment in Iambic Pentameter, but I'm in an internet cafe and my time is running out...

Metamatician said...

Have fun looking for your bird, Maalie. Don't let it get hold of you and crack those old bones of yours.

Maalie said...

Bury your trust beneath the ground with me;
Your loneliness to lay down for the sun.
It seemed like miles of liquid in my dream
My useless limbs as usual they did seem

Metamatician said...

Hey, you're in danger of becoming a full-blown poet.

lorenzothellama said...

Azriel, Uriel, Gabriel, Muriel,
Weren't these all Arch Angels?

Sara said...

Laundry detergents. Well, Ariel is anyway. :-) Luv Mags The Facetious.

lorenzothellama said...

Yeah, so is Bold and Persil, but I aint never heard of Angels being called that.

Rob Windstrel Watson said...

Your writing is like a glass of red wine best sipped and savored.

It has a fine bouquet, a hint of Salvador Dali and rhythms pulsating like the Rite of Spring in the after taste.

Another nice post and thanks for your kind words about my comment. I recognize in you much that is in myself and I know how hard it is.

Thanks for your interest in my blogs. I'm afraid you will not find eloquence like yours.

Also, finding your way around my blogs is somewhat challenging as Lorenzo recently eloquently commented. (****** ****)

My interests lurch between small town regeneration issues and involving people in local government through to flash fiction and free online novels with a dash of photography thrown in (when I can find my digital camera).

Most of my posts recently were flash fictions on

http://onlineflashfiction.blogspot.com/

which are designed to intrigue office workers during lunch or tea breaks and not hurt their brains.

Fearing that even these small works may be proving too much of a challenge to my visitors, I have now turned to yet another blog, where I am experimenting with the humor muse.

http://humoroushumorcomedyjokes.blogspot.com/

I currently haunt a creative writers circle called:

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/

where I agonize about writing issues in good company.

I hide carefully within my forest of sites and, in the past, have only emerged rarely to confront the real world but am resolved to do so more in the future.

Metamatician said...

Thanks all. The angels connection you'll have to put together for yourselves, sorry. A writer can't be expected to give away everything. That goes for lots of posts and names on the site by the way. Nothing is random in life except at the smallest levels (and therefore all is random), and so neither is anything random on this blog.

Except at the smallest levels.

Rob, you're FAR too humble I'm afraid. You write sublimely and for some reason the old camping adage "take everything out that your took in with you" - i.e., tread lightly, seems to apply to what little I've gotten a chance to see of your stuff. Small touches are often better than severe swings of yon battleaxe, despite what our Viking friend would say.

Case in point. Do you know the English artist Alan Lee who has done much fantasy art, with a special emphasis on Tolkien, for decades now and so hardly has any teeth left? His sketches and paintings are much more delicate than some other formidable "Tolkien" artists such as John Howe... and yet, as grass can eventually break through even concrete footpaths, when the Howe paintings have begun to grow boring, the spidery lines of the Lee sketches still captivate.

This is also, in my opinion, the case with you. I need to continue my explorations.

I also like that you've branched into so many different types of media and conceptual approaches with the multi-blog idea; it's something I really have not done and it's been frustrating me. If I have anything to say, one medium never seems to be enough to convey it properly.

I draw and paint a bit, take photos, and would love to learn sculpting, or tilework, or just about any of a dozen different other kinds of art, but most importantly, to combine them in unusual but pleasing ways.

What I've done in that area of yet has been rather clumsy and not so pleasing, but I'm young and hopefully have time to hone things bit. And to shut up about the art process. That gets quite annoying, I'm sure. Best to do and not talk about. I'll learn...

And in that vein I'll take my leave, again thanking everyone who continues to visit this little blog and leave behind a comment or two. I hope to have some new entries up shortly, maybe a change of pace from the more dour offerings of late. I don't want to scare Lorenzo off or worry Mags too much, she's so momsy.

In a GOOD way. :)

lorenzothellama said...

Hey Meta, I did sculpure at Swasea University. It was brilliant and a fantastic way to calm the nerves and let off steam! Later in life I became a potter. I was always so much happier with three dimensional work than two.

Oh, a propos a La Belle France. Les Anglais aime beaucoup les francais, et nous amusons quand nous parlez francais.

Pip pip, Lorenzo.

Metamatician said...

Swasea U? Is that in Swaziland?

Oh, SWANsea... gotcha. Yeah, I've been telling myself to take a damn pottery class for ages now. Every time I see people doing it at a workshop or local college or at the Renn Faire, I'm envious and just wanna put my hands around the stuff. It looks just as therapeuatic and stress reducing as scratching Jackson or Scaredy. I'll have to get serious about learning, thanks for the reminder. I, too, like three dimension. (Four or five are even better, but they're hard to show the rest of you lot).

And if the English love the French so much, I'm not sure the sentiment is returned in the opposite manner, especially when they hear your "outrageous accent, you silly connigets". The French don't even like other French, like Quebecois, for God's sake.

But if it's fun for you go right on ahead. I can understand what your saying (except occasionally) I am simply choosing not to participate, especially not on my own blog. I'll speak Spanish off in the corner with Raelha or German to myself.

Bonne nuit, ma belle amis anglo-saxons.

Rob Windstrel Watson said...

Thanks again for your kind words, they make the hours spent shaping and crafting sentences and paragraphs worthwhile.

I took a look at Alan Lee, who I didn't know, and his art is full of emotion - every picture I saw - unlike those I saw by John Howe.

Emotions enrich all of us and perhaps laughter is the jewel in the crown.

Sadly the one eyed monsters that roar through the silicon highways and byways of our virtual world have not sufficient intelligence - yet - to value and promote carefully crafted words.

lorenzothellama said...

Well if you pop over to Poynton I'll give you a few lessons, a la Demi Moore!
Getting your hands round wet and sticky clay is indeed therapeutic but can also be bloody annoying when it goes wrong.

Metamatician said...

Well then I won't get it wrong.

Thanks for the offer kiddo, I may take you up on that someday.

Gledwood said...

That is v Kafkaesque...

Metamatician said...

Thanks and welcome, Gledwood. Get a tiny hampster-size wine glass out of that cupboard over there and let me treat you to some of Napa Valley's best. Just a little, mind you, wouldn't want you surfing home inebriated.

Unknown said...

Lorenzo, I used to like watching the pottery classes/demos at St Fagans Museum of Welsh Life - did you ever go? I always fancied a go myself but I would've been the only adult taking part and imagined my efforts would've been worse that those of the younger would-be potters - so I always avoided it out of potential embarassment.

And we're still waiting for that post on your own work.

Now, did someone mention wine?

Metamatician said...

St Fagans?

Unknown said...

Yes, St. Fagans. If you don't beleive me look here:

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/stfagans/

Metamatician said...

Oy, I wonder what our redblooded Scandinavian friend would have to say about such a poufy name. Although I realize fags are smokes to you lot.

I doubt they hand out sainthoods just for smoking though. Maybe he's the patron saint of cancer. Sain Ffagan. Lol.

Thanks for the link though. Ooh look, they've got a museum of wool...

Unknown said...

Meta, sarcasm doesn't become you my dear. It's a very pleasant place to wander around of an afternoon, and I do believe they have cows too.

Metamatician said...

I hope it doesn't become me. I don't want to be sarcasm.

Cows are good. I like the little woolies too, they're cute.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane