Tuesday, May 12

New York City?

"Get a rope!"



Well I'm off to La Gran Manzana once again. See you all later in the week. If there are people who lurk on this blog, why not step out once in awhile and participate in a conversation, or start one up? I'll try to start thinking up more interesting topics to spur some debate. I frequently get what seem at the time to be good ideas in my dreams or in the shower or while out walking, but by the time I sit at my computer and prepare to write them out, they seem trivial, or repetitive, or self-referential, or some other synonym of the word dumb.

But I do have a list of legitimately interesting topics (I think they are, at least), and I will try to work some of these in one or twice a week. I don't want to turn this place into Philosophy 101 or Learn Some Interesting Useless Fact 1A, so I'll just keep the variety going, maybe put up a new playlist once a week or thereabouts which you can listen to or turn off (pause) if it's not your thing. I'll try to think of some interesting quizzes which might appeal to many types of people, too.

All of this because I love you!!

Well, and I crave attention because my self-esteem is badly eroded and I need validation in the form of people reacting to things I write, which makes me feel like I matter just a tiny bit in this world. If my plane goes down or something *knock knock* just remember this one thing... Ah crap, I forgot. Oh well. Just have fun without me, and don't bother crying or anything, I'll still be around, just in a different form.

And only a few people even post as it is, so no real loss. Except to them I guess. That's a bummer, why do people have to suffer in life? What is the purpose of suffering? I could explain it all in terms of my theories (distilled and selected from other's of course) about the organization of what we probably naively call "life" (as if there were a life/nonlife duality to the existence), natural selection between competing bits making up this life structure at all scales, and so on, but that's only describing why suffering and joy exist, not what they feel bad and feel good, in a subjective way. Is that the only way to motivate elements of the puzzle. There HAS to be real feelings, which in turn necessitates consciousness arises from materialism? This is a sticky subject to get through. It's probably the second hardest problem in philosophy: What is consciousness and what are feelings and why do they feel the way they do? What IS that experience? Read Antonio Damasio for more on this topic; Daniel Dennett for a strict materialist's view of consciousness, and Oliver Sacks, EO Wilson, and Doug Hofstadter (once again) for other topics such as self-organization, self-reference, emergent properties of dynamic systems, and human neurology, especially neuropathy.

I hope Jackson doesn't miss me too much. I'm sure he'll be fine, he sleep most of the time anyway. Days must seem really short to a cat. They already only live around 15 years or so on average, and then they sleep during almost the whole thing. And when they're not sleeping, they're eating or turding, or looking for booty. That's all their lives consist of.

Wait a sec, that's all MY life consists of...

Hmm.

In the words of Eddie Izzard, "Ciao."

4 comments:

Pia said...

Have a great trip! I wish i could go too, it's such a great city. You could at least take some pics to entertain us lurkers with when you come back!

Unknown said...

A great photo you found there. Ah, I'd like to be there too, though I'd've said that even without the photo.

I guess we have to suffer so we know when we're experiencing some positive emotion. Life as one long flat line with no ups or downs wouldn't be be of much interest.

Oh, and no interesting fact is ever completely useless.

I'll try and kep an eye on Jackson while you;re away. I bet he invited all the ladies round for a wild party as soon as you stepped out of the front door. Actually, though, knowing how zealously he guards his food bowl, he probably grabbed the opportunity to scare them all the way.

Hope the pizza's still as tasty this time and looking forward to your return.

Sara said...

Glad you're getting out and about. Have a great time!

Katbili said...

Are you afraid of airplanes or something? Why did you get all emotional? Of course you will come back! And we will be here waiting for your new posts!
Great topic you put there about consciousness and feelings, i ve been thinking about it a lot. Obviously i have no answer, although you can guess what i think, i am a biologist so i have a materialistic/evolutionary view.
speak soon
K

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane