Thursday, March 6

Vera

You came to me on a dark night, with a comment
Shy like a unicorn, fiery like a comet;

I tracked you down and showed you care
The smell of April was in the air.

From the first you confused me; eluded me
But you clung to me too sometimes and soothed me;

So back and forth, like dueling fencers
You and I, love's most senseless dancers.

And yet you never gave the part of yourself
Which you offered to others who only hurt you;

I tried in vain to convince you to have me
You must have known I would never desert you.

In my pain I stayed constant, for I thought I knew
Then the skies poured rain and you looked above;

Sometimes I don't know if I can't stand you...
Or you're the only person I will ever love.


4 comments:

lorenzothellama said...

I really wish I understood and enjoyed poetry. I feel I am missing out on things.

Metamatician said...

I'm missing out on pottery and so many other things. There's just not enough time for it all =(

Rob Windstrel Watson said...

Yup, Meta, that's good!

It has strong song like qualities, an incredible feeling of yearning and a wonderful end cadence in the final line.

It seems that I find a lot of yearning as I travel around on the web, often communicated in the form of poetry.

It's a pity we can't put all these yearnings together and make the world a happier place.

Do two wrongs make a right?

Could those who yearn together find wholesome love?

Last night, I watched a programme on UK TV called 'Wild Sex'. It was about the sex habits of animals and birds in the wild - not at all titillating but an interesting nature programme.

It was surprising to see how complex were the relationship strategies that dominated the lives of the animals and birds in the film and the way the strategies adopted ensured strong genes survived and flourished.

If all our yearnings were finally fulfilled, would we then turn our poetic yearnings elsewhere for inspiration?

If we continue to separately yearn, are we failing in our most fundamental evolutionary driving force?

Metamatician said...

I wrote a comment about twice as long as Rob's comparing the trappings of human love to instinctual courtship behavior like what bower birds do, but the internet ate it.

There was probably a reason.

Anyway this one feels real to me, every line, because it is real. It might not be the most artistic poem in the world but everything's true in a 1:1 sort of way, which isn't always the case.

God it's cold in here.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane