Wednesday, August 16

Bath.

There's something so soothing about a bath. I can see why all the spa treatment facilities rake in so much business. It's better than an alcohol or drug buzz because you know it's natural and there's not gonna be some harsh rebound, just a gentle segue back into real life.

I just took a very hot steamy bath with those little beads in it and lots of bubbles. Also had all the lights out except some candles. I just sat and soaked for the longest time, submerged except for my nose, then finally I used a sponge to gently scrub my entire body with a new shower gel I bought. It felt decadent and slightly gay, but no one except the whole world knows, so it's ok.

When I got out I brushed my teeth the entire two minutes the toothbrush wants me to, then put the polishing attachment on and used that for a bit. I had already shaved before the bath, but now I put on my aftershave lotion and used a couple Q-tips to get the excess water from my ears. Stepped into a robe and slippers, grabbed something cold to drink, and sat in front of an open window with a slight balmy draft oozing in, just right and not enough to be uncomfortable.

In my new king-sized bed, with my best pillow propped behind me, I just went into deep relaxation mode as I listened to some very slow, haunting songs. It was a night made in heaven, delivered to me by ethereal FedEx and I was actually there to sign for it for once. Sometimes things just go right. We need to acknowledge that. Little things they may be, but nothing that gives you that tight, clean glow after a long day of physical work should be written off as 'little' in my book. Au revoir... avec plasir!

3 comments:

oormila vijayakrishnan said...

wow...What I like about this piece is how you make a simple thing like taking a bath, an engaging and absorbing activity, worhty of lyrical description. I think you write brilliantly. Are you a published author or have you considered being a novelist or something? So many of us go around with the cliche " I've got a book in me" but lack that vital creative expresson that is so central to being a great writer. I think you've got it in you, Meta! Your imagination and eloquent prose remind me a little of John Banville.

I forget the last time I had a relaxed bath. Sigh! The baby keeps me on my toes. A baby is such great fun but the flip side is, I am a hassled, frumpy new mommy now!

Metamatician said...

Wow, thank you for that compliment oormila. I've been watching your site get off the ground too. It's always exciting to see new sprouts in the blog garden =)

As far as writing goes, for me anyway it has to be something I'm not "trying" to do, if that makes sense. I can't write for an audience, I'd freeze up in insecure indeciveness. I love the blog format because it's like the journals I always kept as an adolescent, just freeform blathering.

I will check out John Banville now and thank you once again for your patronage. A lot of what I have on this blog is pretty dark, there's a lot of catharsis going on. Just be warned!

And I hope you do get time for that dream bath sometime soon.

oormila vijayakrishnan said...

I like your honesty..Most of us are out in this world "trying to do things" to prove something or the other to someone or the other. I sometimes feel that about myself... Am a published writer.Poetry is my forte. I published a book when I was a student,at 18- a collection of poems about the Gulf War, which I faced when I was 13, in Kuwait. After that, never brought out a book as such, just the odd poem published here and there. Then, the people who hailed me as a prodigy/raw-talent, whatever, dropped me like a hot a cake.Sometimes I think publicity is a real bad thing.Especially when you are really young. Morphs you into a different kind of human being.

Anyway, now I'm getting back to writing but like you said, the moment it is for an audience, it puts me off.It is like you are expected to be this performance monkey and show the latest trick...And there is no room for failure. I am satisfied getting over my writer's block by blabbering on the blog right now. Maybe it will give me the confidence to start writing again for the RIGHT reasons- to create something just for the sake of creating and not for the sake of kuddos.
A lot of my stuff is dark and brooding as well.I think our entire life is about catharsis, don't you think?

Now that you are checking up John Banville, I must share one of my favourite quotes by him " All works of art are scar tissue"...

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane