Sunday, August 27

Hidey Hole.

The only time I can ever get ethusiastic about cleaning is when I think of it as an enjoyable thing on its own, which most of the time seems nuts. But once you get the ball rolling a bit and start moving things around and grouping like items together and the whole rest of it, it can actually be fun. I hate the spraying and scrubbing and mopping and vacuuming parts still. It's nice when those things are done, but I haven't found a way to make them enjoyable in and of themselves.

But going through boxes of old things (especially pictures, postcards, or letters), rearranging books on shelves, moving furniture about to give the room a fresh feel, even flipping cushions and mattresses over is fun - it involves both your mind and your body, and it creates a sense of forward momentum that is so much more enjoyable than that other feeling, the backwards slide. Being the procastinator I am, I have to break chores up into manageable sub-chores and make a battle plan out of the whole operation, or else I'll get overwhelmed immediately. But if I get the list written and actually start ONE thing, the odds of me continuing on and doing most or all of the rest go way up.

Unfortunately now is one of those times, so I must end this blog and all it's hidey-hole procrastination-ness. Damn the Internet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in the same boat as you if it makes you feel any better. Just listen to the Giants (they are winning right now) or an audio book, and try not to think so much about the "chore" of it.

/t

Arvind~* said...

Hello Matematician,
Co-incidentally, Oormila recommended your blog to me only a day after you discovered my blog! I'm rather thilled!
I sympathise completely with your plight, though I find that I don't mind doing chores if I have sole responsibility over my place/ room of stay. The moment domestic help beaomes available, I can't do chores no matter what. I've given up trying to re-arrange old papers and files, because I know I'll have to re-arrange them again a week later. It's just too much of a hassle. I leave it to my mum a the governess.
No one, strangely enough, will let me do the chores that I want to do - washing the dishes.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane