Monday, May 24

You know what I'd like?

Though I don't expect to get it... A 'Happy Father's Day' card - even just an eCard. Something to brighten my day. My daughter's birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Father's Day are usually downer days for me. I can and have put my ex-wife behind me, though it's been a hard journey to do so. But not so for my kid. I rarely if ever got Father's Day recognition even when I was with her all the time. People seem to forget about me because I don't pipe up or complain too often, just carry on.

Just saying, it would be nice. I get ignored enough as it is, though some very kind and sweet people in my life have lately made me pretty happy, and I'm doing fairly well. But one can never get enough of thoughtful gestures, even if they're the "Hallmark" type. Heck, I wouldn't mind a card or a small plant just out of the blue. But Father's Day best wishes is something I've rarely ever gotten, and I put a huge part of my life into that role; happily, of course. Mothers get treated very well it seems to me on their special day. Dads, not as much.

We're supposed to be tough and not care about things like that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure you made a great dad and would still do so if given the chance.

I used to frequently pester my dad to make up quizzes for me. And though he wasn't the greatest parent in the world, he's usally come through for me on that one, and I loved it, the fun of it, and toehr things, 'quests' he'd set me upon. I'm guessing you were similar, in that way, better even since you know so much more. He always put his heart into it though and I think he enjoyed it as much as I did.

Metamatician said...

Thank you, Raels. You're sweet. I tried to be the best dad I could and not only out of obligation but because I truly loved it, and her.

And you have me pegged for the types of activities I used to come up with, too. Her mom generally made dinner, took her school clothes shopping, and practical things like that. I was the fun guy who spent all my time with her doing imaginative things, teaching her photography, reading her stories and poems, making up oral stories together (one turn at a time, so it would take wild twists and turns), helping her with her homework and answering her questions about the world, sitting and doing projects and crafts with her, rollerblading, ice skating, playing board games and Nintendo game, watching Monty Python episodes, playing the Cow Game, coming up with funny alternate lyrics to radio songs, and so on...

At the same time I was also strict when it came to following through on punishments and on not allowing her too much too soon, like you see so many kids get these days (phone and ipods when they're just out of the womb), because I wanted her to value her time as a KID and not grow up too soon. Whether it worked is debatable; I seemed to be countered and undermined at every turn by the other parent.

Anyway....thanks.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane