Wednesday, June 23
USA, England both advance at World Cup 2010
Just as I predicted (hah!), the USA and England both advanced out of Group C and into the round of 16 at the FIFA World Cup in South Africa. Both teams scored 1-nil victories over cagey opponents Slovenia and Algeria, who most pundits thought would go rather quietly before the tournament began. However, England played poorly their first two matches, resulting in two ties, and the US likewise had to come from behind late in both their first two matches to salvage ties as well.
Thus it came down to the final day of the first round for both squads, with all possibilities still alive: both teams could advance with wins, both could exit the tournament quite unceremoniously with losses, or either could advance and the other to go home depending on a complicated set of circumstances involving more ties.
In other words, the games already played all went out the window as the Group was wide open. But when England beat Slovenia 1-0 and the US responded with a 1-0 victory over Algeria thanks to a penalty-time goal by star Landon Donovan (pictured above), both favored countries could breathe a sigh of relief knowing they'd escaped Group C and will move on to single-elimination play. Well done to both countries and good luck in the next round! I don't know exactly how the bracketing works at the Cup (does anyone?), but if it's possible that the two countries could replay their 1-1 tie in the Final; that would be epic!
First things first though: Each team must advance to the round of 8, then 4, then the Final. In other words, before dreaming about being in the final game for the trophy, three consecutive victories against the champs from the other Groups will be necessary. Like the cliché goes, one game at a time...
Posted by Metamatician on Wednesday, June 23, 2010
- Sancturary: A white bengal tiger at the Singapore ...
- I suppose it's about time.
- Guest Article: "Should This Be The Last Generation...
- Haven't been feeling normal all day... Maybe this ...
- What a striking pair of snow leopards...
- USA, England both advance at World Cup 2010
- Two Rolling Stones covers.
- "Scarlet Ibis" by Edward Rooks.
- No title.
- Celebration of trees.
- Epilogue: The Madman
- An offer.
- A big amazing photo.
- How does THIS BLUE look?
- My Ethnic Heritage (approximately).
- Some quick questions about the blog.
- Upcoming on the Meta-Plane.
- Tolkien Essentials, Part One: A Very Concise Histo...
- I know I said I'd try to avoid Flash, but...
- ▼ June (24)
- ► 2009 (359)
- ► 2008 (226)
- ► 2007 (536)
- ► 2006 (600)