Look, you can see Hurricane Katrina!
This is based on the 'new' 8-planet solar system (which excludes Pluto).
- Name the planets in order from closest to the sun to farthest.
- Which planet is the smallest?
- Which is the largest?
- Which has the most moons?
- Which two have no known moons?
- How many planets have rings?
- How many have a solid, rocky surface?
- Which planet rotates the fastest (has the shortest day)?
- The slowest (its day is actually longer than its year)?
- Which orbits the sun in the least amount of time?
- Which takes the longest to circle the sun?
- Earth's axis is tilted 23° from vertical (which gives us our seasons). Which planet has the most extremely tilted axis?
- Which planet has the largest moon for its size? (i.e., as a proportion of its own size.)
- Which planet has the largest moon, period? (Extra point for getting the moon's name.)
- Which moon is the only one known to have an atmosphere?
- Which is the only body besides earth known to have lakes (in a liquid state) on its surface? (Extra point: What are these lakes made from?)
- What planet is the brightest from Earth's vantage point?
- Which planet would float in a bathtub full of water, if one big enough could be made?
- Which is the hottest planet at its surface?
- Which planet's moons may have subsurface liquid water oceans?
- Which is the most volcanic body in the solar system?
- What is the largest object in the solar system?
- Which is the closest planet to the earth (in terms of distance)?
- Which bodies in the solar system have man-made craft landed on? (Name as many as you can, I'll be generous).
- What is the largest storm in the solar system and where is it?
- Which is the only planet in the solar system whose name does NOT derive from Greek/Roman mythology?
- Which planet besides Earth certainly had liquid water on its surface in the past?
- How many worlds in the solar system are known for sure to harbor life?
- Which two planets does the Asteroid Belt lie between?
- Which planet has both the largest known volcano and most extensive canyon system in the solar system?
Nerdy bonus questions (each worth two points)
- What does 'albedo' mean? Which planet has the highest albedo?
- What is the densest planet in the solar system?
- Pluto is a dwarf planet which resides, along with hundreds or even thousands of other small, icy worlds in a part of the solar system called the _____ Belt.
- Comets occasionally visit us in the inner solar system. Where do most of them come from? (Hint: it's a very faraway spherical shell that's home to literally millions of these 'dirty snowballs'.) The _____ Cloud.
- Which is the nearest star to us?
- About how long ago did the solar system form?
- How about the universe?
- Which of Saturn's moons looks uncannily like the Death Star from Star Wars?
- What year did humans first set foot on the moon?
- What year did humans LAST set foot on the moon (so far)?
Wooo! That was a long one. And that was about 1/4 of my original questions - I just decided enough was enough. :)
There are 50 possible points (1 for each of the main 30 questions and 2 each for the bonus questions). Just do your best and don't worry. The fun thing is reading the answers later and learning!
Leave your answers in the comments area, don't cheat, good luck, etc.