Tuesday, October 18

Drive reduction

I know the theory of "drive reduction" has fallen out of favor with psychologists since its hayday in the 70s, but I often feel that it's a useful metaphor for our behavior, if not necessarily an accurate depiction of what actually happens at some deeper level. For example, my obsessive need to organize. Ignoring for the moment the question of trying to change this behavior, it does seem as though when I resist the impulse to organize my stress level begins to rise, and when I "give in" and tackle some big renaming or reskinning project (on the computer), my feeling of well-being immediately increases in the same way that you feel better during and after you urinate. If that's not some sort of drive reduction I don't know what is.

No comments:

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane