Tuesday, October 18

Empirical confirmation

I've been taking a supplement called 5-HTP to help alleviate depression. My mood picked up a few days after I began taking it, and for the most part stayed up over the next month. Then, about three or four days ago, I ran out. I ordered some from an online store to save money, and reasoned that the interruption in routine as I waited for it to arrive would be another test of its effectiveness. Sure enough, within a day or two my mood dropped, and I began to feel the familiar nauseating tug of negativity just beneath the surface of every moment. I haven't written much. It's been hard to find motivation to post here, to keep my place straightened up, to watch a movie - really, to do anything. Even eating seems a bit more lifeless than usual.

So I guess that's enough evidence for me that the stuff works. It may not work for everyone, and some of it could even be a placebo effect, but whatever the case, I'm going to continue to take it. During that month I was outside getting fresh air and exercise much more often; I took an interest in birds and photography and travel; when the night rolled around I didn't wonder whether sleep would come quickly, and, if not, what I would do to occupy my mind until it did. Things were just a little more pleasant and less worrisome all the way around.

1 comment:

Taunya said...

It's nice to know that some supplements actually work. I've got to check out the Diet cure again.

Also, please burn that documentary for me about the Omega3 fatty acids too.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane