Tuesday, May 9

I want a globe


To see the world in proportion, to erase my Mercator past. To see the true size of the Indonesian archipelago and picture Krakatau erupting and spewing dust round the earth to be painted in macabre portraiture. To know the ball whirling in space amidst the stars, before me in miniature spinning inches from my hands in its controlled deterministic way. Natural wood. Painstaking cartography. I don't want to play God. I only want to see his creation in all its glory before me, a scale of its true self but true to itself. I only want truth. Technology does what it can; flat elementary room worksheets push what they must. That's ok. But in my chair when I need to know something about the topology of Kampuchea, I need something more real. Real.

No comments:

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane