Thursday, April 30

Had a plan.

I had a plan, once. No alcohol, smoking, drugs, or sex till I was 20, only studying, self-improvement, mental conditioning, accomplishment. Just till 20, at which point I'd try everything one by one, scientifically to see what they were about, soak it all in completely. Then I'd write my magnum opus that would change the world and be a classic forever, informed by all that I'd crammed into me in those frenzied, heady years, built on a foundation prepared to experience them due to endless reading, understanding larger and larger things, seeing structure, laying the groundwork up to that age.

I'd slave away at my masterpiece and be dead by 25. And it would never ever go out of print, not that it would matter to me after that, but it would leave some mark upon a world which otherwise cares nothing about you. Maybe I'd even "crack it" where so many others had tried and failed, or only succeeded in working out a tiny piece. You know what I mean.

That was the plan. Not a very uplifting one I'll admit. So what went wrong? Well I immersed myself in the study of art and philosophy outside of school, science and rhetoric inside of school, and athletics whenever I could just because I love the feel of my body being in motion (I miss it now, the wind in my air, diving for a ball, being totally exhausted, being totally relaxed). I had the sex which was lousy and the drugs which just fucked up my mind, smoked only a few cigarettes which were disgusting, liked drinking okay except you have to come down, which is dumb.

And then I just went off the rails and had a nervous breakdown because life is so impossibly immense and complex that as prepared as I was to be blown away by it all and still keep my hat on and my fingers on my typewriter (metaphorically), and as much as I trained all my life for that time and thought of nothing else, it still blew me away, far away into the land of Oz, and all my ideas seemed the stupider for thinking that one could actually plan a life out like that and become master of everything and find the Truth and then die a satisfied conqueror in some humane fashion.

No, I just got depressed and lost my nerves of steel, and now here I am years later, everything a broken trail of glass and tears and blood (along with some good times) behind me, trying to rebuild myself. Nothing went as expected, as one might expect. No one is mighty enough to take on life and win, not that way.

6 comments:

Hans said...

Open and truthful - I guess trying to reach the moon before you become an astronaut doesn't work, but you had dreams - I hope you find them again.

Metamatician said...

Thanks. They'll be different ones this time. You can't beat life, so you have to learn to cooperate with it.

***

Joshu was asked,
"When a man comes to you with nothing, what would you say to him?"
Joshu replied, "Throw it away!"

***

Zen Koans

Metamatician said...

Actually, I think that comment misses the point entirely, about becoming an astronaut first. Sorry, nothing personal, but that was the point I was trying to make. It wasn't for lack of preparation. In your analogy, people can get to the moon if they're prepared properly. In reality though, people cannot reach the type of moon I'm talking about. The real one, of course. But then that's saying I just didn't do good enough, which is not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying if I couldn't do it, and all these other people couldn't figure life out, maybe it can't be figured out.

The dream was all wrong. That's the real point. It WASN'T good for me to have thought that way, I only ruined myself by doing it. Complete inaction would have been better than trying to rise to the level of some superhuman person, delusionally and futilely. Just to have dreams is not necesarily good. I mean, Hitler had dreams too, to take an extreme example. You have to have understanding behind what it is you want, and why, and it has to not be based on a fallacy like 'existance can be understood,' or 'Jews are bad,' or some other nonsense. That's my take on it.

Katbili said...

You re so absolutely right. Plans dont work.Things we were dreaming/hoping/planning of doing, never happened. Dont regret though. This is not the end. You can still write up your story, make your own history. We live and we learn. Rules are meant to be broken. Trial and error. Keep on living

Unknown said...

I like the Koan very much. I don't think you've told me that one before.

Very few things do ever go the way we expect, and life, as I've learnt, isn't one of them. But still, you have to make plans and see them fall to pieces around you to realise that. You still learn, not what you thought you were going to, but perhaps something of greater value.

Your plan was so immense though, that it's a sign of your strenght that you're still here after it shattered.

Katbili puts it well - it isn't the end, carry on, live the moment, experience, see where life takes you.

oormila vijayakrishnan said...

Justin, you are not alone, my friend...The beauty of life lies in how magnificently you rise again after an unimaginable fall. I think you are successful- you write with the gift of a Sylvia Plath! Trust me, I know what I am saying. By the way, I teach your work to my Grade 12 kids. Have told you that before... So chin up and keep writing. If you ask me, the dream is still alive. You have kept your gifts alive. That is all that matters.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane