Friday, April 17

Two Tears.

I would have flown
Swum the ocean grey
If I had known
That in the bed you lay

You were two just tears away
From falling

How could I say
What I could not think inside
How could I beg
When my spirit had died?

How could I let you know
But darling, I let you know

Now I'm just two tears away
From falling

They say those who comfort you
Don't understand what troubles you
They say that tough love
Are just two words for greed

But sometimes tough love
With a tender touch, can I ask that much?
Is just, oh darling
Just what I need...

So I would have flown
Swum the ocean grey, all the way
If I had but known, like a stone
In that bed you lay

But I am still wasting
Still crying from tasting
That bitter pill alone

And still you don't know,

That I'm only two tears away
From falling.


-jms

3 comments:

Hans said...

This one would have been great for Fogelberg - boo hoo. Who else? Leonard Cohen.

JOVIAN said...

these two poems/lyrics have a real user-friendliness to them but are also wonderfully complex in their structure. they read like they were written during the same sitting, in a good way. the muse of meter was with you.

oh yeah, they're about cool stuff too ;)

Metamatician said...

Thanks again!

I like this one the better of the two, because it's completely inspired by a real event. Not that event was nice, but it was real, and that gives the song "the ring of truth," as Gandalf would say.

The change-ups to the expected words/meter are even more pronounced here, though it's still a very simple structure and I could play it on piano or guitar if I were allowed a few hour to pick out the chords I've got trapped in my head.

I really need to learn an instrument... Thanks again to the people who weighed in on this one, there were some who emailed me directly too. I appreciate the feedback - it's very encouraging, especially when one is tinkering with subtly new styles :)

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane