Monday, April 13

The Return of My Own Photography

...is imminent! I've been without a compact flash card for my small P&S camera, which has rendered it a fancy paperweight for awhile now, but all that's about to change as I've ordered myself a new one with a nice 4GB capacity and moderate write speed. Perfect for my point and shoot Canon; it doesn't need anything better than that and the price my mom and I found on it (a SanDisk, too) was very convincing.

I also intend to get quite serious this spring and summer and beyond in finally mastering my Nikon D200, possibly selling some items I have and using a bit of the money to get a more practical lens than the excellent but limited fixed-focal-length macro lens I currently have attached to it. I skipped the "kit" lens at the time of purchase to save a bit of money, knowing I'd want a better basic zoom, and that the kit lens wasn't worthy of the sophisticated D200 body. Of course I wish I'd waited for the D300, but let's not even go that route. I'm quite happy with what I have and there will always be something better; it's the nature of technology.

Well, hopefully I can soon afford some better glass along the lines of the 18mm - 200mm model. Something common enough to sell in large quantity and thus remain affordable while still being tack-sharp and very fast. That will leave me really only lacking two lenses: A super wide-angle model, and an extreme zoom (400mm+). The long zoom I can do without indefinitely as I'm not planning any African safaris in the near future, but something like a 10mm wide angle lens would be absolutely wonderful!

Unfortunately to get a high-quality lens that wide without resorting to a fish-eye model can get extremely expensive, so it will have to wait for better days financially. But I'm patient and also willing to buy used and to compromise perhaps to a 12mm. The only thing I really insist on is it be a true Nikon (Nikkor). I would rather build up a small stable of excellent Nikon lenses then settle for imitations which I know will only disappoint me whatever their price.

Hope that flash card arrives soon! The weather is gorgeous and my trigger finger is itchy.

5 comments:

André Kertész said...

Scratch the itch.

André Kertész said...

And also, nifty new tech from Nikon:
http://tinyurl.com/dgoeyh

Unknown said...

I hope it arrives soon too. I'm hoping to see the walls of Poley's Palace adorend with your pics.

I'm still quite ignorant of what money can buy when it comes to photographic equipoment and I shall remain happily so until the day dawns when I have the money to buy something decent and then I intend to investigate properly. Until them I'm happy just to have a camera that works.

Metamatician said...

Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click....

Metamatician said...

About the D5000, blegh. I'll take my D200.

What I really want is a Nikon D3. I really wish there was that big fat guy Jesus who comes down the chimney with gifts - I'd ask him straight up to break me off one of those and in return I'd start going to church.

Of course, I'd be lying, but he wouldn't know that at the time!

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane