Monday, March 27

Read carefully

A big problem in our fast-paced world is that it's tempting to glance over everything and not really pay attention. Are you doing that right now? There is so much information bombarding us all the time; it's easy to tune it out.

Resist that impulse! One of the things that makes you human as opposed to 'merely' animal is your higher reasoning faculties. Don't fall asleep on life, make those faculties count for something! When you choose to read something, read it diligently. Absorb each word and place it in the greater context. Be open-minded but tough-minded. Don't let your brain turn to jelly and your life switch over to autopilot.

Remember, the goal of any technology should be to improve lives, not impoverish them. The purpose of information is to serve, not drown. Keep your head above water. Are you still paying attention?

6 comments:

JOVIAN said...

have you read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanence'? It addresses this exact observation as well as discussing the...well, it discusses pretty much everything from the formation of 'consciousness' to the proper technique for adjusting the timing on a '60s Harley so that observation's got to be in there somewhere! Ha Ha. Check it out.

Metamatician said...

Have been meaning to for years but I will make a point of it now. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the first two paragraphs. The last is ... I don't know, what is it. Is the written word a "technology"?

Metamatician said...

By technology I meant the technology that enables blogs (or books, or whatever) to allow people to share their views, not necessarily the content or form of those views themselves. Sorry for the confusion.

An Gabhar Ban said...

funny I should pick this as a random post to read before heading to bed since I had your blog up and I was just thinking that I don't use my brain nearly as much as I used too or as much as I should...
But I'm remedying that! Anyway. This was an inspiring post at just the right moment.

Metamatician said...

Ironic and appropriate!

Thanks for reading, as usual. It makes me feel good that some people read what I write, and even better when they leave feedback :)

It's not what I write the blog for, but it's a nice thing to know you're not speaking into a void.

So thanks, everyone. You guys keep me sane in your own way whether you know it or not.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane