Sunday, March 12

What's behind door #713?

No writings are suitable for every situation. When one is feeling vulnerable to emotion, a simple plaintive line of a song or a poem may resonate with sadness or joy, which in another (more cocksure) attitude the same line will seem trite or maudlin. This is one of the challenges of putting words on a page, where they may be subsequently read by those in every conceivable mood. How to seem sincere but not cliched? How to be original and yet still relevant? In the end, it is best to simply write from the heart, in whatever frame of mind one finds oneself at the moment, because the writing is true. Committed to the page this way, it stays true, even if only a true slice of a given space in time, forever.

1 comment:

Metamatician said...

I'm beginning to realize this. It's my damned perfectionist nature that has kept me from writing (or achieving in any sense) because I always knew that in choosing one thing I'd be passing up many others, or that while some people would appreciate my work, many other would think it's rubish. It's taken me 33 years but I'm starting not to care about thatr anymore. The ACTION, the actual doing of a thing, is where the value lies.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane