Sunday, August 16
Tyson Gay, the premier American sprinter and second fastest man in the world, just put in a 9.70 sec mark at the World Championships in Berlin, only one one-hundredth (0.01) of a sec off the world record time set by Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt at the Beijing Olympics, which was 9.69 sec.
And yet he lost by well over a tenth of a second, which in sprinting is like an hour.
That's because Bolt shattered his own mark in incredible fashion, almost effortlessly gliding to a new world record of 9.58 sec. He said afterwards he thinks he can hit 9.40 before his career peaks. It was only a few years ago we were in the 9.85 area, and not too many years since someone broke 10 sec for the first time ever. Remember, this is meters, not yards. The ten-second mark was only broken by human beings 4 years before I was born.
Usain Bolt is truly an "insane bolt" of lightning on the track.
Posted by Metamatician on Sunday, August 16, 2009
- ► 2010 (289)
- Cure for pain.
- What computer operating systems have you used over...
- Which program do you use PRIMARILY use to listen t...
- Crazy cool band.
- Some questions for GIRLS ONLY =P
- Thank you, Mandula, for the necklace!
- ~ My life ain't no holiday. I've been to the point...
- My mom has a new cat!
- BLUER THAN MIDNIGHT. Save me, save me, save me,...
- Some things about stuff and things.
- The The - Love Is Stronger Than Death
- REM - Swan Swan H
- My Number One Celeb Crush... No Doubt About It.
- Covered in lotion today :-|
- Went to a Giants (baseball) game yesterday.
- Brittany, France.
- The Lazy Boy.
- Dark Continents. Peering over the edge of the ear...
- Acting the color of its name for once.
- To survive. At every moment madness beckons, it b...
- Presenting... David Gilmour.
- These bring back lots o' memories.
- LIKE A STONE. On a cobweb afternoon in a room fu...
- I cannot fathom...
- ▼ August (28)
- ► 2008 (226)
- ► 2007 (536)
- ► 2006 (600)