Friday, September 7

(Dan Fogelberg)


Phoenix

I have cried too...I have cried too long
I have cried too...I have cried too long
No more sorrow...got to carry on.

Found deep water before I'd even learned to swim
Found deep water before I'd even learned to swim
Never thought I'd see the sun again.

Once I was a...once I was a man alone
Once I was a...once I was a man alone
Now I've found a heart to call my home.

Like a Phoenix I have risen from the flames
Like a Phoenix I have risen from the flames
No more living someone else's dreams.

I have cried too...I have cried too long
I have cried too...I have cried too long
No more sorrow...got to carry on.

You almost had me, old lady
You almost tied me down good
You played the lady in waiting
And I waited as long as I could

Too long the songs have been silent
Too long the strings have been still
I never knew what you wanted
And I guess that I never will

Like a Phoenix I have risen from the flames
Like a Phoenix I have risen from the flames
No more living someone else's dreams.

I have cried too...I have cried too long
I have cried too...I have cried too long
No more sorrow...got to carry on.




Beggar's Game


I saw her first in a beggar's game
Her eyes were wild but her laugh was tame
Those people knew her by another name
I knew that she'd be mine,
I knew that she'd be mine.

She took me in on a winter's night
The air was brittle and the moon was bright
My heart was heavy but her touch was light
Deep in the dance we wandered,
Deep in my heart she fell.

The candles glistened and the water gleamed
She drew a bath and the windows steamed
She looked like every woman ever dreamed
In the heart of a lonely man,
In the heart of a lonely man.

She took my blindness and she led me through
As night retreated and the daylight grew
And with the first rays of the sun I knew
Love had another captive,
Love had another fool.


5 comments:

Metamatician said...

Dan's alive and well. He found he had prostate cancer in 2004 but was treated and it went into remission. It's not completely gone but is not spreading. He has no definite plans to return to music but is keeping his options open. Lastly, this year he has decided to sell his long-held residence in Colorado for $17.5 million, in case you're interested in moving to the Rocky Mountain state. Here's to hoping his cancer stays put and he lives a long healthy life.

Sara said...

Great lyrics, but let's talk about something else shall we? You raised the subject Meta..

How come women are generally responsible in getting cervical (Pap) smears taken and so few men get a prostate check on a regular basis? It makes me mad that there are recall systems in place for women who are invited to attend at aprox 2yearly intervals, yet to my knowledge there is no such system in place for men? It's unusual to have a reverse sexual discrimiation but there appears to be one here. However, it also appears that men take a lot of persuading to drop their pants for any other purpose than elimination or sex. You are such prudes in this area. Maybe women have become so used to being sexually manhandled over the years, particularly by the medical profession that we are virtually immune to embarrassment? So as an unabashed female I urge you all to get in some practice today guys, 30 seconds rectal discomfort could save your lives.

Metamatician said...

I can't speak for other men, but I drop trou at the merest suggestion. I have no problems with nudity and, living alone, am nude a large portion of the time. Sorry if you didn't want to know that (directed at family members mostly), but it's comfortable and in some ways quite impressive.

I've never hesitated to bare all to a doctor (even a dentist, that one time), and if it's something to do with cancer of any sort, I'm there, buck naked and ready for the finger probe or whatever they do. I'm not ashamed of the human body in any way. I'd prefer we all were nudists, actually. Except men.

Hans said...

Apparently due to insurance policies, men aren't covered for prostate exams until they are a certain age - it's not common that young men get prostate cancer, BUT I agree, pay for the exam if possible, but get one at least by the time you're 40-45. (I'm just guessing on age, but it's slow growing, so you'd have time for treatments. It's mostly an older man's disease - most men if they live long enough will get it.

We could be tested for so many things - but if you don't have the money or a good reason, you just can't. Your insurance won't cover unnecessary tests for sure.

Nudity is a good subject for another post, but I'm not tellin'.

Hans said...

By the way, thanks for the update on Dan. Wow, that's a lot of money for an estate in that part of Colorado! It must be fantastic and on a lot of land.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane