Thursday, November 8

The circularity of life.

If life seems repetitive and anticlimactic, just think of it this way: it is. I've noticed in my millennia upon this earth that nearly everything turns out to be cyclical except the bookends of birth and death, and we just don't know about those because we're inside that particular system with no outer vantage point. I can't tell you how old I feel sometimes and how old the past is, and that's just my own past, which as I've stated goes just back to the height of Rome and no further. But even if we consider, say, the last oh, 30 years of it, it still seems old enough to make dead grandparents cry in their graves. I remember thinking foggy ages ago that I'd seen it all, that the past then was practically precambrian. We repeat crushes, loves, heartbreaks, interviews, goodbye parties, seeing bands, seeing movies, seeing people cross the street. Eating. Taking your millionth shower. Driving to work on a cold morning hoping the heat begins to work soon, getting there without remembering the drive. Rinse, repeat. Repeat, recycle. Bicycles along a country lane, planes forever landing and Europeans clapping, not being able to crap, ending up drunk on someone's landing. Poems composed in confinement, comprised of refinements, disposed of by mistake. The endless process of makeovers we call upgrades to ourselves as we age. The dead, long past. It's always there and always growing. How can we move on?

7 comments:

Sara said...

I think that life appears like an endless circle of repetition, but that it's actually more like an ascending spiral. That way, all though I appear to be repeating similar experiences and life lessons, each time the circle comes around again I'm a little further up the spiral. We are learning more than we know.

Metamatician said...

Good viewpoint. I vacillate between thinking I'm doing that and I'm not learning a goddamn thing each time around the wheel.

But of course mostly, you are right. The voice of wisdom.

Anonymous said...

The only way to get out of the circle is to take a step above it!

Metamatician said...

Aha, the topologically-aware mind thinks in the fourth dimension and solves the problem! Of course, it may be a metaphor for death too, but I'll try not to think of it as that kind of stepping out.

Thesaurus Rex said...

I sometimes wonderhow many times I'm likely to yawn or draw breath or blink again in my life before I finally stop breathing and yawning and close my eyes on this world for good. They are finite yet semmingly infinite numbers of events. These are repetitions in the same way emotions and human responses to situations are repeated. The truth is that we are always moving on, because we notice that things are being repeated. When you first do something, it's either the only time you will ever do it, or you will repeat the experience. Hey, maybe you repeat things you do, not out of habit, but because you actually loved doing it the first time around.
Whatdya fink old bean?

Thesaurus Rex said...

er... 'seemingly'

Metamatician said...

Wot 'e said. Landlord, gimme anuver.

Just kidding, it's an interesting idea you've got there. Our circle become increasingly similar because we refine them sue to personal taste or experience. Doesn't really account for multiple divorces or drug habits though. Maybe our conscious choice in the matter is limited somewhat.

I think we do ingrain pleasant experiences into our routines and try to excise the unpleasant ones, but since out idea of cause-and-effect, especially when those two are separated temporally very much, is sometimes fuzzy, and so what we think is making a different choice this time around (I'm not gonna go out with people who just use me!) actually isn't, because users may come in lots of different forms, all of which we're attacted to (they want to use us so they have a strategy to intice us; if one fails, they move on to number two).

Kind of a cynical view of the world, but I do think it operates and the subconscious level (except in the most specious of humans) and also likely has an analog in the world of primate or animal behavior in general.

What the survival adaptation is is clear in the case of adopting good habits each time around the carousel (grab the ring), and no so clear in the case of bad habits (fall of the horse when you see Tim Curry dressed as 'IT'), but I'm sure Richard Dawkins could give us all and answer. Let's get him in here. Maybe he'll pay for the round too.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane