Tuesday, November 27

DCD

I don't know how many if any of you besides Del realize how brilliant Brendan Perry (formerly of the group Dead Can Dance) is, but if you could sit down and read 5, 10, or 25 of his song lyrics (any of them at random) AND you had a soul, you very quickly would.

I only wish I could write like him AND do everything else he does - sing perfectly, produce everything in an abandoned abbey in Ireland by himself, play just about every instrument there is, teach samba and polyrhythmic Afro-Caribbean percussion to ordinary people who want to take his seminars, provide rare gems of songs for indie movies that will never earn him a schilling, program keyboards as well as play them masterfully and sequence the whole lot on computers like a trained sound engineer, even play antique instruments whose voices have not been heard in centuries (hence the band's name). Actually I wish I could do ONE of those things as well as he is able to. Maybe I'm closest in lyrics, but I've got miles to go in so many other forms of expression it's very daunting.

So this holiday season I'm featuring the ethereally majestic work of Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard, from the 25+ year collaborative band Dead Can Dance, which is beyond conventional genre-oriented categorization, to their solo works of the past decade or so, and presenting some of the most beautiful, heartfelt, perfect words put to paper, recorded to tape, or made into avant-garde movie "shorts" or providing the backing sound for such breakthrough and breathtaking movies like Baraka, Koyaaniqatsi, and many more, as well as more conventional ones like Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, and Whale Rider. There is simply no one like them in the world, but since this blog is more focused on words than sound, you will get more Brendan than Lisa I'm afraid. He's the words guy for the most part.

All that and he's an absolute Guinness fiend from what I hear. You're missing a large portion of the boat if you ignore outside-the-mainstream artists like DCD, Nick Cave, Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen, and so forth. I can't MAKE you listen or read any of them, but if you are intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually a seeker, you will find enough there (and HERE) to at least set you on your way.

I wish they were my poems. It would be tempting to leave his name off and bathe in the adulation that came my way. But of course that would be wrong and missing the whole point, and Del would call bullshit faster than a Texas mosquito anyway.

So there, my upcoming tribute to Dead Can Dance, in my mind a group with a body of work possibly tied for the most beautiful thing I've run across in life, and right up in there in the conversation for best band ever (to me) with Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Smiths, Nick Drake, Bowie, Bob Marley, Nick Cave, and The Clash, and maybe a few others I'm not remembering.

Thanks for reading! Get ready for some great found art and symbology, some of my own stuff (visual and literal) inspired by them, lyrics, pictures, video clips, and more, all while of course keeping the quizzes, funnies, and non-related entries rolling right along at the same time, and my Facebook ninja ranked #1 in all of Sonoma and Napa county. Don't be afraid to comment on lyrics. They're only poems whose tiny bodies of clay have been breathed to life by the voice and music of a band, after all. That is something even greater than poetry.

If I can possibly provide MP3s of any of this work, (hint, especially if you email and ask), I will.

10 comments:

oormila vijayakrishnan said...

To hell with Del. I wish I could write like YOU! :-)

oormila vijayakrishnan said...

Gees, sorry Del, I meant Perry. Out Perry! I want to write like Justin! :-D

Thesaurus Rex said...

Sounds like a heck of a guy. Though I doubt he would ever need to by the sound of it, can he also fellate himself whilst playing the euphonium with his anus? Cos if he can't, maybe he should consider spinal surgery.
And yeah, I agree with Oormila, don't dis your own writing. Some may prefer it to that of BP.

Sara said...

Some peeple are soooo woooood!

Metamatician said...

Wow, you guys are all way too nice to me. But now that you've said it I'm gonna keep it =)

And to answer you question, Rex... if there was a question in there... I'm not gonna answer that.

Metamatician said...

P.S. I won't even ask you if YOU'VE tried those things because I have this nautious feeling what the answer might be.

Metamatician said...

Oh yeah and you two lovebirds in Southern Blighty over there ought not to discount your own dap hand at verse. (Heh, I just called you a bird, Rex.) Mags, yours is concise, knowing, and always right on point, and Brewood, yours is complete bollocks. Kidding mate, your writing and your poems are brilliant (almost too much so), and yet you play coy and never take credit for the recockulously crippling command you positively possess lariat-like upon on this sometimes lurid language of ours. Either that or you are an extremely smug scheister who secretly overrates his own work and then plays the pub-bloke humility card in order to get flooded with assurance from others that your mind is indeed marvelous. That's what I would do, anyway. Probably gets you more chicks in the end (so to speak).

Thesaurus Rex said...

That IS what you do, isn't it??
And anyway, where're my A.D. points? I dunno what house I'm in. Do you have the Sorting Hat hidden away in your closet? (next to all those skeletons, I suppose)

Metamatician said...

You've read my mind you wordy old dinosaur, I do indeed have the sorting hat right here on my lap (don't ask).

"SLYTHERIN!"

Wait, wait, I hadn't even asked about you yet Rex. This damn thing... Ok, here we go.

"Hmm... interesting. VERY interesting... Yes, that is the sort of thing one of those types might do... oh and this, WELL NOW... oh now this is just disgusting... OK, I don't want to really look into this guy's mind anymore, or ever again for that matter, so I'll just cut to the chase... GRYFFINDOR!"

Holy shite Rex, how'd you get into Gryff? Ah, but I know better than to distrust that battered old felt. I suppose your worth will show itself before the end of days, kind of like when Sam had to practically spank Frodo's naked ass the last 100 miles through Mordor to keep his Martyrship from ruining the plot. In fact, your act of bravery will probably end up being something a LOT like that.

Yes, this is my fulltime day job, dontcha know I got Flash ads and reader-donated revenue pouring in like molten steel in blacksmith shoppe from this endeavor, baby. Makes my cocaine deals look like forays for pocket change.

Now if you'll shut that hole in your heed for a bit, maybe I can get this quiz done in the finest of Meta fashion. After all, my audience expects nothing less. Well, except timeliness I suppose :(

Birds, I tell ya. *puts on best Michael Caine accent* It's all about them birds. Why I can't tell which I'm comin' and goin' right now what wiv all these great geese and thrushes flutterin about! I know, I know [looks at camera] - need to get me priorities straight. Blimey, just can't find enough time in one li'le measly day for all that bird action AND expect to 'av some fun wiv the lads. Ah well, when God gives you lemons make yourself a strong martini with two olive and a twist is what me mom always said, whilst she was preggers wiv me mind you.

TTFN.

Metamatician said...

(typos above, grr)

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane