Thursday, November 15

Question.

How old is the earth, according to the latest research accepted by most geologists? It's ever so slightly different than what I learned most of my life, due to new breakthroughs in dating techniques. Needless to say, no cheating please. I'm ideally looking for an answer to two decimal places, expressed in billions of years (X.XX byo). American/international-scientific use of the term "billion" of course, not the uniquely British notion that a billion is a million million (an idea which is fading even in Britain). A billion is rightly a thousand million: 1,000,000,000.

The closest answer gets a small solid bar of 24k gold in virtuum!

The true age of the earth may always be debatable, because it formed from rubble that didn't make it into the sun and subsequent major bombardments, so when exactly is a planet considered to be "born"? Also, there is some inaccuracy still in dating methods, but the latest figures are taken from many different scientific disciplines and all converge quite nicely on the number I'm looking for. But don't be afraid to guess! Don't assume anyone will get it exactly right!

And anyone who says 6,000 years old will be immediately banned from this site =)

20 comments:

Hans said...

6,000 X 1.5 billion

Mandula said...

Whhhhy? Isnt it 6000...? :))))

Anonymous said...

Try 6.25 Billion

Sara said...

6,000 years old :-D See, it's like putting up a sign that says 'Wet Paint' Anyway, all the nice Christians say it's 6,000 and we all know that they are the only ones who really know the truth. Gosh, is that the time? Sorry must rush, the rapture will be occuring in about fifty minutes and I just need to defrost the fridge.

Thesaurus Rex said...

Earth? What on Earth is the Earth?

Hans said...

oops, I meant 6.5 billion - tried to fit that 6,000 in there so it should have said 6,000 X 1.5 million right? I'm forgetting how to multiply!

Anonymous said...

Nope, that equals 9,000,000,000 or 9 Billion

Hans said...

OK,well my answer is 6.5 billion years old!

Anonymous said...

We wanna know! We wanna know! How old is it?

Metamatician said...

4.54 billion years old. I heard 4.55 most of my life.

Start here if you're interested in how we "know":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_Earth

I guess Byte was the closest of a bunch of sorry guesses.

Hans said...

I thought that estimate was blown away by a new discovery. Maybe it's just a theory I'm thinking of.

Metamatician said...

If it was I wanna read about it!

Sara said...

Stop eating pizza and snogging the neighbours, we are getting quiz deprived around here.

Metamatician said...

Oi, piss off and wait, you. Good fings come in delayed packages. Just ask your postal service.

JOVIAN said...

ah, got to this one too late. i was gonna say 4.6B years, what i've always learnt was the general age of the planet. oh well, at least I KNOW i was closest ;)

Sara said...

Oh, did that cryptic comment mean it finally arrived? I'd be paralysed with sheer disbelief if it had.

Metamatician said...

No, sorry Sara, it didn't. I still check though. Somebody cocked up and I'm so sorry about it, it was a very sweet thing to do to send me a package. What awful luck...

Metamatician said...

Yes, Delusionist wins in retro because I choose to believe that his guess wouldn't have been the same no matter when he answered.

4.6B is also an answer I learned. It is, of course, merely 4.55 rounded up.

Metamatician said...

Er, I meant "WOULD have been the same." Dummy me.

Metamatician said...

Mandula you are banned.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane