Friday, November 30

Music videos, Media mogul assholes, and the Right of a private artist to express himself in untested ways.

Should I ever find myself in a band or playing the part of a discovered solo artist that was given the opportunity to make MTV-style videos, I wouldn't. I don't care how much money they threw at me. Unless it was a lot.

I might make short films, if I found I had the talent for it, or collaborate with equally idealistic and monetarily bereft directors who did have that talent, and whose tastes meshed with mine. In essence the 'film' accompanying my music, be it a single track, an ambient or merged concerto-like smudged out thing, or a series of discrete creations, would have to be a work of art on its own. It would not change what it needed to be to fit the mores of the music industry, and would thus almost certainly never be played on any sane television station. Artists have of course done this - Pink Floyd and Sigur Ros to name but two - but it's still a rare thing. I think Thom Yorke, Nick Cave, Tom Waits - people like these, they tend to reach for that sort of additional expression. Some have made full-fledged films or at least scores or screenplays.

A good sense to have as an artist is having the good sense to know when you're no good at something. So far I'm good at everything. Well, except for most things in life that actually keep you alive and serve your primal functions. Logistical things. And artistic things I'm nearly never the 'best' at, I merely see a path where I could work at it and be considered amongst that crowd. It's all so rubbish anyway, it's like pillowtalking after the alarm has erupted and deciding who had the more valid dream. Art isn't a sport where they hold up cards that range strangely from 9 to 10 in increment of 0.1.

I guess my point is that many musicians I am inspired by don't have crowd-pleasing videos. Maybe just some old studio footage later exploited as lost or rare and benefiting someone unworthy, like a person. I would never make a visual work of art tied explicitly to a musical one, nor the other way round, unless for some strange reason it made sense to me and could be done with the same passion, attention, and skill given to both objects and I felt compelled to marry the two. The disciplines don't necessarily seem related to one another in any pressing way, at least not in my view. It's a bonus I suppose when one can support the other, but for anyone to expect this pair to grow together on the same tree...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Music videos are a dastardly creation of money grubbing greedy slobs.

Good music does not need a visual accompaniment. Sit back, get comfortable, close your eyes and enjoy.

Thesaurus Rex said...

Good sense prevails when people don't 'decide' to be musicians. It happens. It's as natural as birth and death. Like painting poetry or pissing in a pot. For my own participation during 35 years behind a guitar of some sort, the whole thing just drives one insane at the same time as inflating or crushing ones ego or just having a great time yelling your head off and banging out tunes on a windless night in the middle of the woods with a few pissed up mates. As most artistic outlets are, playing any instrument in a performance based structured way has peaks, learning curves both steep and shallow, troughs and seemingly endless steppe-like plateaus of achievement. That's what does peoples gourds in, dude. Never being quite satisfied with how good you are. It's also what keps them going, apart of course from the sheer joy of playing a guitar through 25000 watts of power!! YEEEEEAAHBOEY!!

Metamatician said...

Bytedoc, I generally agree and enjoy listening to my music that way. Sometimes an accompanying movie or artistic visual display (laser show, abstract artistic movie, etc) can provide a different but just as rich experience. But "music videos" as MTV conceives of them are almost utterly worthless.

Metamatician said...

Rex, I obviously don't have nearly the experience behind a musical instrument you do, but the little bit I do plus just being a groupie of live music and a fan of recorded music, I agree with everything you said. It's in the bones, not in the mind.

Hans said...

Come to my new Big Box store called Musart. For every CD you buy, you get a Poster that very clearly shows what the song means.

Experiment from 4th grade: Put on some music - have paper and crayons or pencil ready. Close eyes and draw what the music brings to your mind. Don't look until the "song" is finished. I assure you it will be an abstract.

Metamatician said...

Heh, good irony (probably coming soon) and good idea for experiment. That's why I don't care about a VIDEO iPod, just one that can hold ALL my music. And I don't care that they make films of books I love, I usually prefer they didn't. And I don't like reading biographies of great artists (any type of art), I just wanna marvel at their work.

I WANT to use my imagination. It's a good one and produces lots of wondrous things. I'm often let down by other people's interpretations of things I feel strongly about. I'm sure it's not just me. We're all individuals, why force the same visual image on us all?

Since this is my Dead Can Dance month, anybody who is cool and open minded pick up one of their CDs or ask me for a sampler that I can zip and send you and listen to it with headphones on in the dark. I GUARANTEE you it will take you places no music video ever will.

Next we'll be told there's WMD in Iraq and Saddamn was supporting Al-Qaida. Jeez.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane