I've been wanting to jump into web design and specifically web coding for awhile now, but have been held back because of the big mess of standards: which browsers support which features of which technology, and which don't. The "safe" thing to do right now, in order not to exclude the great mass of IE users out there, is to use HTML 4 and CSS 1, or XHTML 1 and CSS (1 or 2). It still seems like a hodgepodge, though, and I have no confidence Microstupid will ever make a standards-compliant browser.
So I decided, screw anyone using IE, just on principle, as well as to make learning modern web design more exciting and cutting-edge. I'm going to just start with HMTL 5, which seems perpetually in draft stage (sorta like beta software), but it's not that there's anything wrong with the standard (in fact there's a whole lot of cool stuff about it), it's the old chicken and egg game of waiting for browsers to support it fully. And IE is holding everyone else on the web back.
If you're interested at what new things are possible with HTML 5 and what it's all about, go here:
I'd like to switch my blog from Blogger to Wordpress, and totally re-style it and spruce it up (in fact I already have my Wordpress account set up, the name reserved, and have a Flikr account for hosting photos and a FileFactory account for hosting other kinds of files, like MP3s or homemade video which I could legally stream to my blog). And, ta-da, here's a guy who's already made a free template for Wordpress in HTML 5:
If you want to see a big gallery of sites that are already using it HTML 5, and some of the cool things they've come up with, go here:
Fun to have new things to learn and play with. Cloud computing. Web 2.0. Whatever trendy buzzword you want to use. Web pages aren't just to look at anymore, they do things now. Don't expect a blog move anytime extremely soon, though... I still have a lot to learn and I won't switch to a new host and a new code base until I've tested the heck out of it and am sure it will fly. Plus I'll need time even once I figure out how it all works to come up with a unique, cool template design that I'll be happy with for a long time. This one has served me well but it's ancient! I want a lot more control over audio, video, fonts, and pixel-level placement of page elements than this blogger template could ever give me. Plus links to things like a resume/CV and other pages for other parts of my life and other purposes besides blogging.
- ► 2010 (289)
- Happy Halloween!
- The beautiful Amy Lee, everyone!
- "Coming Back To Life" (Pink Floyd) Where were y...
- Tiger hug!
- HTML 5
- I did it!!!
- A PC build to save for. Or?
- Juliana Hatfield.
- The leaves are crunchy.
- Word challenge! (Medium)
- My favorite toys as a kid were...
- Here's the deal.
- Ancient culture curveball... no gods involved.
- Ruminations on art and tech.
- Unofficial video.
- A poll about polls... and other things.
- Snakes are cool... to a point.
- This looks scary as all hell.
- Heh, cool.
- Smartest guy ever? I think so.
- “We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of...
- Bullet-time again. Trying to break 0.100 :(
- Sticking with the Nordic theme...
- Here's a crazy video by Röyksopp
- Here is Karin Dreijer of Fever Ray. =)
- Here is your author.
- Here are some cute kitties.
- Hey, Dr. Hadley is the hottest girl in the world!
- This is a trip.
- Yahoo! Answers.
- LOL! Google is cool.
- Alexander the Great's Empire.
- 1776 (Two become one) Now I grow old, desperation...
- ▼ October (41)
- ► 2008 (226)
- ► 2007 (536)
- ► 2006 (600)