Sunday, July 22

A gathering of like minds; innocent fun; I missed it all.

It was the devil's choice to make

A charm of fury he kept on me
I had three hours to stay awake
But time was heavy and grief slept on me

The biggest gathering of people ever
To celebrate the innocence of books,
The imagination with which children shall ever
Tip you a nod and such joyful looks

Judge you by the pleasure that sits plainly on your face

Eight hundred people just in one store crammed
Witch's hats and wands, not embarrassed at all
It was the end of thirteen years, understand?
We grew up with the mysteries, awaited the Fall

I missed my one big chance in life
Maybe a dozen times, but this hurts my heart
The party that would put me in a mood just right
To finish the tale I'd loved part-by-part

A thin layer of logic atop molten feelings: Me
The setting, the oneness, the timing are it
They forge the excitement to set minds reeling, see
I can't read in earnest without priming for it

The horror of missing the deadline sank me
And now I don't feel I shall ever unlink
My disappointment with the cursed book that, frankly,
For weeks was the only thing of which I could think

And the gathering of people unknown but so happy

I hid it well, I know; The biggest fans always do
But now I share all the deflating pangs with you
I can't see the cover and feel any joy
I won't even finish this series about that boy

I started my marriage and my parenthood with book one
The tale seemed to twist and turn, a backdrop to my life
And now I'm on my own again and the marriage is done
Like the story I shared with my daughter and my wife

It's just like me to put off finality
Maybe I'd still have cherished it page by page?
But the wizarding world was out in calamity
And there I lay tossing in a useless rage

It holds no interest for me anymore, I'm done
It's all imaginary and now it's all gone
The people who read it seem to be having great fun
But my life must change, my interests move on.

I will not end in blandness what buoyed me so long.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane