Sunday, April 22

The Cobby Tom.
If I ever own a pub in England I'm going to name it "The Cobby Tom" in tribute to their national cat, the British Shorthair. In cat breeder parlance, "cobby" means "stout, large headed, robust bodied." According to the "Free Dictionary," cobby means

Cob´by
a.1.Headstrong; obstinate.

2.Stout; hearty; lively.

That sounds just about perfect, especially "headstrong." The Tom part obviously refers to a large, bullyish intact male. This would be a place where you could get your Guinness or Harp, some fried pub grub, and have a lively conversation beside a roaring fire, or a round of darts, and feel right at home. There would always be the chance of some sort of row breaking out; after all, pubs are filled with drunken men - but that is to be expected and even cherished. A place for the metrosexual this would not be. You should have your heart in the right place yes, but also, don't be a puss for God's sake. You were born a man for a reason, remember that.

I'll be taking investment money for "The Cobby Tom" just as soon as I get my business plan together and learn what it takes to open a business overseas...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That made me think of the scene from the movie zoolander. "Pop, I think I'm getting the black lung."

If you haven't seen it. WATCH IT RIGHT NOW! Or soon.

-Joe
www.teammangakitty.com

Unknown said...

So, in honor of your subject today, "Cry God for Harry, England, and St. George."

Happy St. George's Day, y'all.

Metamatician said...

And to you, mate. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends!"

@manga: yeah, I saw Zoolander, that was hilarious. Thanks for your other post to, and for visiting the site. I'll check yours out more when I get some spare moments.

M.

Hans said...

I am not a man but shall dress up like Puss n Boots and enter proudly and dare you Toms to start a row! I will drink your amber ale, eat sweet meat with my paws, dare you to beat me at darts. Then leave me be!! I have a meeting at the corner table...... Strider....shhh, it's me.

BTW, I got a Happy St Georges Day card from Nottingham today....had to look that one up!

Metamatician said...

@Patty: Lol. If I start getting Numenorean rangers frequenting my pub, I'll consider it a success! No dancing on the tables though, I'm afraid, and EVERYONE must wear shoes. That means you, shirefolk. No plain gold rings, either, you know - just in case.

Two St. George references in one day... must be all the BBC I've been watching lately. Anglo-Saxons coming out of the woodwork now. I'll have to get some of those pest control people out here quick.

Hans said...

no shoes needed on a smooth-worn oaken floor and dancing will be done because singing will be done and fiddlers will be fiddling! No disappearing I agree, it brings out the night riders!!!

St. George is luke warm in England except by Catholics i hear but he's popular in the sports crowd. I don't know why. 3rd mention is a charm and will keep the pests away! Do not worry young Tom.

Metamatician said...

Ah, it's all solved then. Frisky toms, disguised dancers, merriment sans wraiths, St. George hiding in the bushes kicking a football around idly. I think I understand now.

Wait... I don't understand anything! But the Guinness will be cellar temperature from the original oak barrels, you can quote me on that one or my name ain't Barliman Butterburr... er, uh, Metamatician.

*pan flutes fade out the scene*

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane