Sunday, June 24

Endless creativity.

There is an essentially endless number of paintings, poems, stories, installations, sculptures, music, novels, photographs, lithographs, dances, and sketches that can be created. Themes may repeat but never entire works precisely, never in each chosen detail, never expounding the same point
exactly. It may be a matter of nuances but art is built from nuances. When artists claim a 'block' it is not because the opportunities inherent in the Universe have run dry, but because his or her own connection to the act of creation has been severed or minimalized in the face of depression, boredom, sudden new interests or what have you. Maybe it seems you've expressed so much about your interests that little more seemingly need be said. But zoomed in like a microscope's view of pond water, details jump into focus that were not foreseen. Likewise a poem written even in doldrums, felt to be not much differentiated from previous efforts, will in time show an entirely different composition and pedigree, offering lines, rhymes, or imagery unique to itself.

Creating is always worthwhile. Nothing can ever be perfect, and much will not satisfy the artist, and the audience will not always value the same works as the artist but rather inexplicably latch onto something considered minor or inferior and ignore the presumed show-stoppers. This is why all art is important. There is always someone who will appreciate every decently-constructed piece, and a message transmitted and received completes, though changed through colorized and polarized filters from one brain to the next due to language, upbringing, phobias and phllias, experience, ideals.

But those of us who must create, we know that writer's block is a tiredness or grief on the part of the artist and not truly a block. I could write a whole screenful of jokes, but I don't feel particularly in a joking mood, so I won't. I will document my mood and thoughts, my reflections and speculations, and someone somewhere will connect. It's inevitable in such a large sample size as the connected earth. As long as someone is touched in some way I feel gratified and worthy of my efforts. I could not live as a hermit. As much as I like my privacy and solitude, I must have an outlet to connect to people, to exchange ideas and opinions. Else all I do proceeds in vain.

Might as well leave a carved rock to the Ancient Old Ones pleading to remain sane and uneaten. I don't want their attention, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't look forward to the impact and reaction my writings or pictures will have upon my few friends and relatives who are in the least bit susceptible to such things. An audience is seductive. I want one.

3 comments:

Hans said...

What I love is your Uniqueness and always look forward to what you have to say, whether it zooms over my head or hits me like an arrow in the heart.

Metamatician said...

Thank you very much!! It's people like you who read and comment that keep me going and I always appreciate nice remarks too. You just made me smile =)

Hans said...

You made me smile back!

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane