Friday, June 1


Won't you lay me down in the tall grass and let me do my stuff...

Saw Lindsey Buckingham tonight. Great show! He looked young and fit as can be, very energetic. His voice hasn't lost a thing. Watching and listening to him, he reminds be of a blend of Michael Stipe (REM) and Gordon Gano (Violent Femmes), and I mean that in the best way. He's got Stipe's passion for singing and a similar voice of about the same range and strength, and can easily move between very soft, sweet whispery ballad vocals to a hard, bellowed rock-n-roll wail. His lyrics are very good and a touch off the beaten path too, but not like Stipe's. He's like Gano in that he's a bit short of stature, though not AS much, and he also has a bit of a whine to his voice, but not in a bad way. Just a sense of longing. And he can play guitar like nobody's business; much better than Gano. But of course he was playing before either of these two were, so I suppose the correct phrasing is THEY sound like parts of HIM!

The man is a guitar virtuoso. He reminds me a bit of Dave Gilmour in how relaxed he is with a guitar in his hands, like it's just a third arm or something. He rarely if ever looks down at it, even when playing complicated parts, and he doesn't relegate himself to chords while singing, letting a supporting guitarist plays the complicated lead line. He does it all. He's not as good as Gilmour, but he's definitely not far off. He had about 5 guitars in rotation including a couple acoustic-electric hybrids, a full electric model, and a couple big standard acoustic models. He changed guitars on every song - such a perfectionist. With the electric, he tore up 8- and 5-minute solos in two different songs as well as played some neat finger-picking, speed playing on the very highest notes, and a whole other bag of tricks. I know the times because I timed them on my cell phone clock. The solos were incredible and left my hairs standing on end. Like I said, Dave Gilmour is the only one who can top what I heard tonight as far as I'm concerned, and that's saying a lot. Their styles are different; Buckingham plays a lot harder and faster while Gilmour plays more flawlessly and makes his guitars almost literally "sing," reminiscent of Eric Clapton. There are a lot of great guitarists in the world though, and Lindsey is among the best.

I counted 5 Fleetwood Mac songs and 11 solo songs (2 of which I recognized), which was about what I'd hoped for. And he made the Fleetwood Mac cuts count: Never Going Back Again, Tusk, Go Your Own Way, Big Love, and Second Hand News. The only song I really missed hearing was Monday Morning. These versions were all superb, with great arrangements and impeccable singing and playing by The Man. His backing band was very tight through the whole show, and never stole the limelight nor sounded way outdone by him. Three or four numbers he performed completely by himself in a spotlight. Overall for his age and the amount of drugs he's put through his body, he was in top form. He talked to the audience a lot and was very soft-spoken and congenial, seemingly
much-matured from the rebel he once was. For for those few guitar solos or when he'd cut loose vocally on a chorus, he could still send shivers down your spine and rival any 20- or 30-year old in sheer power.

The high point was after about 5 minutes of an outrageous guitar solo where I could have sworn I saw smoke issuing forth from the guitar, he quieted down and started the final, slowing, hard strumming, like he was about to finally shut it down, only to then sink to his knees at the very front of the stage and take it up an entire notch in volume AND pitch to the place where even dogs get uncomfortable and played 2-3 more minutes of blistering madness, like some angel gone insane coming down from the clouds. All this with his eyes shut and his face toward the ceiling. You could see his face covered in sweat when the lights hit him. The standing O was obligatory, the adrenaline and inspiration flowing in my blood was even better.

There are people who practice and strive to be musicians and have some natural gifts and learn all the rest in order to make themselves a star. Then there are people like Lindsey Buckingham, John and Paul, Fogelberg, Gilmour, and others who are just born to it and make the rest of us sick by making it look so easy. He is certainly a prodigy at guitar and vocally, and at times - but with frustrating inconsistency - lyrically. But if you get a chance to see him, do. Even though it I missed Christie McVie and to a lesser extent Stevie Nicks, and the harmonies of the three most of all, he alone is still worth it. He was certainly the musical force behind that group for the few albums he was a member, I've no doubt about that anymore.

I'd like to extend a special thanks to Radiogirl for my ticket. The seat was second row balcony near the center with no one in front of me. Perfecto! Thank you very much indeed, it was a great show.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Sounds like a great gig. I've not see Lindsey Buckingham live though I used to really like Fleetwood Mac back in the Seventies. However, I completely agree with your sentiments regarding Mr Gilmour. The man is unbelievably talented and always conjures up that look of smiling effortlessness. I've never forgotten seeing Pink Floyd perform Dark Side of the Moon way back when...

Metamatician said...

Hi again! Yeah, Fleetwood Mac in the 70s were brilliant. But Pink Floyd... now that is my favourite group we're talking about! Hey, well part of the holy trinity with The Smiths and The Beatles. Catch me on a random day and I'll tell you one of those three is the best.

Gilmour is my absolute favorite guitar player ever, better than Johnny Marr even, because like you said, it's so effortless and he smiles and just looks like he's almost meditating while he's making magic with his fingers. And then his voice is one of the smoothest and best too! That bastard. I'm a bit young to have seen DSOTM or The Wall in concert (I was alive, just young), and that bums me out, but I did see Dave in a really splendid old theatre in Oakland here in California on that tour about a year ago where he only played like a dozen dates. That was extraordinary. He played for what seemed like forever - there was even an intermission AND an encore - and covered some of his solo stuff but mostly the PF back catalogue every from See Emily Play, Terrapin, and such all the way through the huge 70s hits and the choicest bits of the two Waters-less albums (High Hopes, One Slip). Then the traditional encore with Wish You Were Here and Comfortably Numb. But as amazing as those songs are, I thinked he trumped them all with a 25-minute version of "Echoes" complete with an improv middle section with Richard Wright, who was on keyboards the whole time, and Dick Parry, the original studio saxophonist player and friend who did such memorable solos on DSOTM, and 'course Dave himself. It completely blew my mind.

I just recently saw Morrissey for the fifth time and that was mindblowing as well... I'm more of a Smiths and early Moz fan, but he still has an amazing presence and I had good seats so I was entranced the whole time. He was in a good mood to and kept bantering and heckling the crowd good-naturedly.

Anyway, I could talk music forever. Thanks again for your post! Take care.

Hans said...

15! years ago or so, I read a biography written by Mick Fleetwood. I think it's the one called My Life and Adventures in Fleetwood Mac. Out of Print, but a really good look at their lives! How Lindsey Buckingham really was a thorn in their sides at times; always the perfectionist! and apparently still is. Glad the concert was so energetic. He probably has ADHD, but most artistic people have "something". I loved the originality he brought to the band and his insistance on being perfect was a blessing in disguise, given the fame they achieved. Without his "imagery" like Brian Wilson had (could hear the music in his head and just knew what it needed), the band wouldn't have been as GREAT~! He also had a few stinkers but less than the good ones. Fleetwood Mac in Concert was incredible, folks!! Stevie Nicks was like a real gypsy on stage in gossamer and lace, twirling round and round. Thanks for taking us to the concert of Buckingham with you meta!

Metamatician said...

You're welcome and I totally agree with you that Lindsey has ADHD or bipolar or something where his manic phases are the source of his genius and perfectionism. He plays note-perfect guitar and his voice is NEVER off. I can imagine quite well what a pain in the ass he must have been to work with professionally; nothing was ever good enough. Morrissey and Roger Waters of Pink Floyd have the exact same personalities. Everyone who ever worked with them (Johnny Marr, band managers, etc. for Moz; easy-going Dave Gilmour and the rest of the band and even the cover artist and stage props guys(!) for Waters) says it was a nightmare and they would never work with them again for all the money in the world, but then in the same breath, they always also add that it was a time of so much creative energy and that the artists in question blew them and everyone away with their genius and larger-than-life personalities. No one would say no to Morrissey, except Marr, and even he finally had enough and left. And no one ever said no to Waters, who sang far fewer songs than Gilmour and "only" played bass, but wrote nearly all the lyrics and had the big concepts for albums. Without him they would have been a very nice-sounding band with no assured place in history. With him, they made history. And he's still like that. Now he's just produced a minor opera in French, but it took him like 8 years to get it right and he fired about half the people he worked with along the way. And in interviews he's affable and intelligent, but also dominates the interviewer in subtle ways, asking his own questions, and you can tell he'd be a complete a-hole to have to live or work with.

The price of genius for some is the intolerance of anything or anyone less, I suppose. It's like they're savants who can't understand why the rest of us don't see things the way they do, hear the entire completed work in their head or see the painting already finished, or the poem written. Good to have those kind of people around for all the great works they achieve, but I'm glad there are only so many of them!

Sara said...

Thanks so much for your lovely comments on my blog. I thought I'd reply here on yours, as for personal reasons I prefer to remain anonymous on mine. I think that when I read your blog I recognised another fellow soul searcher who despite having been through some tough stuff, remains open to the possibility that there is still love, joy, beauty and also very funny stuff to be discovered in the world. Fellow travellers are good to find! Keep writing... it's really good stuff. (Sara)

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane