Sunday, June 17

The Spirit World.

Yes, I realize I like lists. So what. They're fun and easy, and people can participate. We'll get back to the poetry and opinion pieces that no ones reads or comments on soon enough - I'm feeling inspired to write things of substance again. Till then, lists, quizzes, and questionnaires will have to do!

At one point in my life I enjoyed the finer alcoholic beverages and did a lot of experimenting rather than settling on the same brand every time. I still remember (with the help of the Internet for a couple) some of my favorite labels and varieties. I won't give years or special low-volume batch names here, first of all because I forget, and second of all because I'm not such a snob or connoisseur that I get that deep into it. For some types of libations I realize this is very important, like wines. I used to be able to name my favorite years of Mondavi and Kenwood cabernets, and recognize that the 'off' years were no better than any other wine, sometimes downright bad. But those days are gone so I will merely list the brand and variety, and trust that you know that I mean the good years of such.

Also, my knowledge of some beverages (beer, wine, vodka, tequila) is much more extensive than others (gin, scotch, whisk(e)y, rum, liqueurs) so keep this in mind. I'm much more confident in my tastes of the former group than the latter. Thus I might appear hopelessly unsophisticated in some of these areas but that's just because I've not drank enough in my lifetime to know what is better than what, except in a broad-strokes sense. And that's probably a good thing.

It should go without saying that since this is a "favorites" list, I've actually imbibed all of the choices I've listed here. I haven't looked at any guides or reviews or ratings of what is best, these are my choices from memory, and memory is fallible which is why I've kept the descriptions pretty general. I realize there are kinds of special editions and sub-varieties of many of these labels, but I ignored that and just put down what brands and types I generally used to like best, on average.

This isn't a quiz or a call for your own lists necessarily, just a (hopefully) interesting post. Of course, if you feel like posting your reactions to my choices or your own choices, so much the merrier! In some cases where I haven't had much experience or tolerance for a certain spirit, I've said so and called for help. This is really a call for suggestions if you have any, though I probably am done experimenting with many of these things. But it may benefit others who read this blog and give you a chance to flex your knowledge in an area in which I am weak.

Without further ado, then:

Favorite Beers
1. Duvel
2. Guinness Draught
3. Chimay Doppel
4. Pilsner Urquell
5. Anchor Steam

Favorite Champagnes
1. Taittinger
2. Alain Thienot
3. Dom Perignon
4. Chandon White Star
5. Mumm's Cuvée Napa

Favorite Red Wines
1. Robert Mondavi Cabernet Oakville
2. Kenwood Cabernet
3. Penfolds Shiraz Kalimna
4. Chappellet Merlot
5. Beringer Cabernet

Favorite White Wines
None. Someone else help?

Favorite Vodkas
1. Chopin
2. Grey Goose
3. Ketel One
4. Charbay Dry
5. Hangar One Mandarin

Favorite Tequilas
1. Don Julio Anejo
2. Herradura Anejo
3. Cazadores Reposado
4. Patron Reposado
5. El Jimador Anejo

Favorite Gins
1. Bombay Sapphire
2. Broker's London Dry
3. Tanqueray No.10
4. Bombay
5. Gordon's

Favorite Scotches
1. Chivas Regal 18 year
2. Glenmorangie 18 year
3. Glenlivet 18 year
4. Macallan 12 year
5. Glenfiddich 18 year

Favorite Rums
Mt. Gay? Bacardi?
Someone help me out here

Favorite Whisky/Whiskeys
1. Bushmills 16 year
2. Tullamore Dew
3. Crown Royal
Help? Don't know many others

Bourbons, Brandies, Liqueurs
No idea. Any help here?

Feel free to chime in on my tastes, share your own, make recommendations, or whatever else you may feel like! This just for fun and everyone has their own preferences. Post!

14 comments:

Sara said...

Beer is definitely best left to the English! God only knows how many excellent real ales there are to be had in most pubs throughout the land. You don't know what you're missing!

I love Tequila but it's limited to just one or two over here, and as for Scotch whisky, I think my favourite so far is Laphroaig, a single Islay malt with a fantastic flavour of smoky old peat bogs and an aftertaste of honey. Mmmm...

Metamatician said...

About the beer claim. First, I know about 5 or 6 countries that would all contest your statement, though I would tend to agree with you (except I love Belgian Ales too and Guinness is Irish), but the English ones don't travel well. Yeah if your down the the pub having a pint poured fresh that's one thing, but if it comes over on a boat in glass or metal it tends to lose something in the translations. I love Boddingtons, Newcastle is pretty good, is Harp English?, and I'm sure there are even better locally made house ales and that we Yanks will never know about. Unfortunately I can only just what's available over here, and English beers are just not well represented. Sorry.

I've never had that scotch you mention but it sounds fantastic! I'll bet my brother has heard of it - he's a big single-malt buff.

Tequilas - we have like 100 million of them over here but only half are even drinkable, and half of what's left can only be tolerated in mixed drinks. But a few are great! Also have mezcals, but those @#$! me up the next day :-|

Thanks for your post!

Anonymous said...

I for one vote for the locally made German beers. No names, different in each village.

Anonymous said...

Favorite white rum hands down is Pyrat. Hard to find, but worth the chase.

Metamatician said...

Pyrat, eh? Thanks for the suggestion.

Metamatician said...

Another followup for Mags - As for English ales, I also like Bass, Tetley's, Thomas Hardy's (I think that's the right name), London Pride, Sam Smith's Nut Brown and their Pale, Fuller's other ones (not the ESB much though, most Young's, Harvey's. The problem as stated before is I KNOW the product I'm drinking does not taste like it does in the pub right out of the oak. So I tend not list English ales in my favourites just for this reason. I dunno why, but they just don't travel well. Shame innit.

Metamatician said...

German beers are the same. Most of the ones they export are either crap like Becks, Lowenbrau, or decent like Hacker Schorr, Warsteiner, Paulaner, or Bitburger ("bitte ein Bit?)... but since I've actually traveled Germany it's painful for me now to drink the bottled versions of even then good ones that reach the States. ByteDoc had it right about the local brews, and even some of the larger labels, being way better in local pubs in small villages - right out of the tab, surrounded by Bavarians who are in the same mood as you, hiding from the heat and a long day in the shade of a Biergarten. You can take the Bier out of Germany, but it loses it's magic instantly.

Locally we have lots of quality microbrews in Northern California, Oregon, and Washington state. Some of them hold up to the better Belgians, English, Irish, German, and Czech Ales. The problem is finding the really good ones out of the tons of boring ones. Stone Brewery is the best obviously but Russian River Brewing Co., Full Sail, and lots of the wheat beers do well in this climate and taste great on tap. Anchor teams tops this list, IMO, but heath would say Stone's Arrogant Bastard or one of their tar-like Holiday uniques are the devil's bollocks. They are too hoppy for me. It comes down to personal taste. I like the old "mead" reconstructions they make with honey and serve at the Renn Faires a lot myself! NO hops but plenty of flavor and drinkability, and they'll get you wasted like cider because they hide the alcohol behind that yummy to my tummy honey and herbs! Gotta be careful with those =)

Metamatician said...

*er, "Anchor Steam" that should have been - made for your pleasure right here in the 'Baghdad by the Bay' (used to be a compliment a looooong time ago), lovely San Francisco.

Hans said...

I can't drink alcohol anymore, but I have in the past.

Something like Amstel Light, Pils Urquell, Steinlager on a hot day would taste good. I don't care what brand as long as it quinches my thirst and doesn't taste bitter.

White wine for me needs to be smooth and a buttery flavor that lingers (no tartness like most reislings). I won't name brands again because it varies so much - but it's usually in the form of a Chardonnay (and light on the oak please).

For me real Whiskey needs to be mixed with coke, a good smooth bourbon like Crown Royal is best left alone, on ice or with a bit of water (depending on my tummy).

Rum HAS to be smooth or you might as well dump it. Bacardi and Ronrico are dumpers. Not familiar with all brands, but there are several from Puerto Rico that are smooth enough for not much $. One brand: Don Q and Castillo being the only 2 I know about that you don't pay a bundle for. Best mixed drink with rum ~ Lava Flow made just like a pina colada but fresh pureed strawberries sit in the bottom and creep up like magma, creating a drink you'll crave. Everything about this needs to be made with fresh ingredients and hopefully you're in Hawaii drinking it.

Liquers - don't care for on average, but add Kahlua to vodka and cream or milk and voila. Brandies - haven't really tried many, but I could see sipping a very good one with someone who knows their brandies. I would suffer later as with all these alcoholic drinks, but for the tastes...I'm answering this post.

Scotch - the smoother the better is all I know. Tried several brands - Chivas, Glenlivit.... I prefer with club soda and a twist lemon, but straight from the bottle to my lips would do.

Champagne - I like a Brut, just crisp, refreshing, and clear, no bitterness. I don't spend a bunch so Chateau St. Michelle from Washington, Korbel from California, Schramsberg from Anderson Valley, California, Frank Family - used to be Hans Kornell (excellent) - probably the most I'd spend is on last 2 mentioned. If you talk about Champagne needing to be from Champagne, France vs. California champagne (using the same methods but not from France) it gets crazy. So here in California, although it's the same way of making champagne from France it apparently should be called sparkling wine. Snobby? I understand - but we Americans just aren't that savvy usually.

Red Wine - usually Merlots are safe and smooth, but to get to the real thing, Cabs, you just need to experiment and pay the price to get a full bodied, smooth one that fills the mouth like a good brandy, and no crummy aftertaste. I like to taste berries, no tobacco! or earthy for me. This is the most complicated wine for me. A few brands that are dependable are Blackstone from Sonoma not the central coast, Sterling (the better ones and pricier). Too many and too many years - so it's good to go with Wine Spectator magazine to know what to try. Sometimes the best reds are Cabs with some Merlot added for smoothness and fruit.

Tequila I love straight, but of course smooth and no worm.

Gin no thanks! I don't care for the perfume.

Vodka that I can drink straight...only criteria - smooth. Lots of good brands out there. Dirty (juice from the bottled olives added) vodka martinis - yummy and addicting.

I'll just go back to my mochas and bottled water now, thanks though it was a fun (but painful at times!) reminder.

Metamatician said...

Thanks for your reply!

JOVIAN said...

the mead you're referring to, Meta, is actually always the same at the renn fairs and yeah, i really dig it (course i haven't had any others to compare it to, at least REAL meads). it's Chaucer's and it's made from 100% honey. you can find it at any BevMo.

As far as scotches, i actually don't like heavy peat (laphroaig, etc). hence i go for highlands over lowlands and islay. see Auchentachan (sp?)

Bourbons: Knob Creek, Eagle Rare, Bulleit

Irish Whisky: Tullamore Dew (the crock but even the regular stuff's good)

Beer: too many to mention, from all over the globe. really depends on the mood.

Wine: Pinot, Cab, Merlot, and Shiraz. won't even attempt winery names because a great one one year can suck the next. also there are just too freaking many of them.

Metamatician said...

Right on, I was hoping I'd get a reply from you on this one!

Thesaurus Rex said...

Bourbon; four roses, bulleit, woodford and something or other

Tequila; black death gold

Vodka; Zubrowka bison brand (served direct from the freezer)

Whiskey; ah, the 'water of life' Laphroaig, Talisker

Gin; Bombay saphire, Tanqueray

Stuff that tastes like liquorice;
Paul Ricard, relatively expensive Ouzo.

Stout; Murphy's, (but only served in Eirinn's fair isle) Bristol beer factory milk stout

Cider; Weston's Organic, Katy's and that pink looking stuff I bought from a reputable Irish salesrogue in West Cork once which was allegedly 8.5% and meant I got lost in a bracken field for 1 hour whilst only 50 yards from the road. I only had 2 pints!! (officer)
Beer; Now we're cookin', baby! Owd Rodger, Old peculiar, Deuchars I.P.A. Timothy Taylor Landlord, Swimbridge Bitter, Pendlewitch something or other, blah blah English beer blah. It really is better than in most places I've been, and though I'm not terribly well travelled, I drink EVERYWHERE. (look out Saudi Arabia) You are right though about canning booze, it just doesn't work well. Bottling, much better but a bit fizzy. Also, corporate mega breweries take over smaller ones and ruin some of the best recipes. Sometimes it makes you want to cry in your..well..beer.

Wines; I buy on price criteria, sad but necessary. White gives me a thick head quicker than red, but New Zealand wines are nice and buttery Empath. They don't seem to export any real crap like France, Spain, Bulgaria. However, pouilly-fume, chablis,
For a weird one, Retsina. It's the marmite of whites, you love it or chunda. Reds, Chateauneuf du Pape, Californian pinot noir if not mucked about in transit, Gamay. As for the Other antipodeans, many people in this country poo poo Australian table wines. This is a pity as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palate, but also to the....wait, I got a bit confused there because everybody keeps talking about the war.
I hope you find this usable, old bean.
Anniewho, I should sleep cos I bowled 6.1 overs of kick-ass off spin today and my right index finger first knuckle aches.
Until the next time, Bon Jovi ;-D

Thesaurus Rex said...

P.S. Disillusionist. Knob Creek!?*! sounds like an embarrassing sexual problem. LOL

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane