Sunday, June 24

Quick questions.

To those who read Narn Î Hîn Húrin (The recently-released Children of H
úrin), I want to know some of your opinions.

1. What was your previous record with Tolkien works? Had you read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings only? Or even neither of these? Had you read the Silmarillion or other books tangentially related to it?

2. Did you enjoy this book and think it was a masterpiece, a bloody good yarn, a so-so tale derivative of other mythologies, or a completely unintelligible waste of time?

3. Did you sympathize with the character of Túrin? Or end up loathing him because of his stubbornness and headstrong heroism?

4. Did this novel spark your interest in further First-Age tales, such as Túrin's cousin Tuor's coming into the hidden city of Gondolin and its subsequent fall. Would you read these tales if they appeared in the same narrative style as Húrin?

5. Did this book enhance your opinion of JRR Tolkien or tarnish it?

6. What, in your opinion, was the "point" of the tale, insofar as Tolkien imbues his tales with morals, which he tried hard not to do, at least not overtly. But the themes are common and strong. Who won? Who lost? What lessons were learned and which were ignored? Was this a tragedy or a triumph of a story?

7. Did you feel the author fleshed out the characters of Beleg Strongbow, Mîm the petty-dwarf, Thingol and Melian, Mablung, Glaurung, Orodreth, Haleth, H
úrin, Nessa, the bandits, the messengers of Ulmo, Morwen, Nienor, Finduilas and Gwindor enough for the purposes of the story; i.e. made them believable as real people or creatures, and not just as stereotypes?

8. What did you think of the ending? Be as general or specific as you want.

9. Could a successful movie be made from this book?

10. Lastly, if this was your first experience with First-Age Tolkien tales, and previously you had only read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, what effect did this have on you and how will it color/diminish/enhance subsequent readings of the former books? Will it cause you to try to take on the Silmarillion and other ancient (both in fictitious and real time) texts that Tolkien laid down in his youth that ultimately led to the Third-Age tales of The Hobbit and The Lord of Rings? Is it too Biblical/archaic/confusing/grandiose for you or does it pique your curiosity to read more of these ancient tales? Do you think you will read or listen to the Silmarillion (to completion) any time soon because of having read this book?

Thanks for your answers in advance! Can't wait to see how people answer this one.

1 comment:

Hans said...

1. I had read the Hobbit and the trilogy of Lord of the Rings about 1972 when I was pregnant and living in Huntington Beach, CA. I have probably re-read all the books 3 times at least.
2. I thought it was worth reading, a bit dark and sad, and wouldn't highly recommend it if you aren't a Tolkien "fan". It's a good look at his early work and a sampling of the Silmarillion, as I understand.
3. I sympathized with Turin. His life wasn't what he would have chosen, and he became stubborn not I don't think I ever held it against him. He just did what he had to do in the story. Not a lot of depth in his character - or rather could have used more.
4. No, I think I'd pass. LOTR's is so much more fun to read that I'm satisfied with those. I am listening to the Silmarillion CDs though, since I don't think I would read it.
5. I guess more enhanced mainly because he was in a process of finding his style, and also made a pretty good story out of a minor tale.
6. The character that was the cause of this tragic story was barely in the story, but because of his honor, his family was cursed. I can't think of this as being anything but a tragedy through and through. The point? It's like life now and always was. Life's not fair. Sometimes, when someone does what they consider a heroic thing, which Hurin did, it didn't turn out well for his family but maybe for the good of middle earth itself. He had no idea that it would cost his family their happiness and lives. Stubborness in father and son, desperation in the mother and daughter, revenge on Turin's part, and doing what came to him without worrying about others were some of the themes and common threads. He had a quest and in the end he succeeded, but it was all a huge tragic quest personally for his family. Others were saved, cities were saved, middle earth didn't crumble, but this one family along with other characters that crossed his path suffered. Lessons and morals - do what your heart tells you, don't mess with dragons - especially if they can speak because dragons are cunning and selfish and wouldn't think anything of lying. Ask a lot of questions about who you are going to marry because it could be incest. A lot of lessons could have been learned by Turin but he was too stubborn to listen. He was on a one way road.
7. The story was too short to really bring the characters out, but a few I felt I knew somewhat. Like you said, enough to make a believable story, but I couldn't pick one for a roommate based on the information.
8. I think I've answered that in my other answers. Sucked, but maybe it was altruistic and that was the point.
9. Yes, I think it could be made like a Romeo and Juliet story but with much more going on, such as dragons and dwarves, etc.
10. I am listening to the Sil and this story helps me to understand what the early days were like, and way earlier of course if you read or listen (my recommendation) to the Silmarillion. I have more of a curiosity about the whole history, but I'm not completly sure yet whether I'll keep going like with the History of Middle Earth. It's rather a loooooooooooooong history with so many names and places and it's confusing. Just because Tolkien wrote them, I might try...he's a genius and the best fantasy, literature, historian, imaginative person that probably ever existed. He must have lived to be 200 to do all he did. The end.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane