Sunday, June 24

Preliminary bets for "Animal Wars"

As I explained some time ago, I have been planning a tournament of sorts for animals all over the world, currently living though some are dangerous close to kicking the bucket. Before we get started with Round One and I show you the brackets, please weigh in on which animal you think will ultimately win. Choose runners up if you wish. This is a totally free-form forum for people to express their gut instincts about which animals are the toppermost of the poppermost, and such speculation is fun and will not be "held against you in any way." So which animals do you think will win their final four regional bracket, advance to the finals, and ultimately prevail?

Ground rules are coming soon so you can see exactly how fights between geographically and even elementally different organisms can be arbitrated. Basically, each animals is considered to do battle within in its own home territory and environment, where it is strongest, whether this makes strict sense or not. Also, and quite importantly, animals are not scaled to provide a good match for its opponent. A fish of some sort may have the largest bite strength to body weight ratio in the animal kingdom, but that won't matter much if it's swallowed whole by a white pointer. So this is not quite a Pokemon fantasy, this is forced reality, a slight difference that allows real animals on Planet Earth to fight one another for that elusive golden crown.

Make your remarks, ask your questions, and soon we will list, define, and possibly even show you every creature selected to fill out the 64 slots. Than following shortly shortly aferwards will be Round One, the biggest bloodbath of them all in absolute turns, as the field abruptly drops from 64 to 32. Don't miss it!!! If you do I will find you!

If someone happens to list the correct overall winner in THIS post before the first battle begins, I will send that person something special and personalized. So put on your thinking caps and get to work!

7 comments:

Cashew said...

Hi Meta,

I hope you add "Bats" to your list. They are the most numerous mammal on earth and so necessary to our ecology and well being. Unfortunately, their value is very misunderstood and their numbers are declining. I don't know which Bats are the most endangered, but I understand that fruit eating bats in Asia and Africa are in danger due to habitat loss and hunting (for exotic eating). I look forward to future posts about it.

Hans said...

I would never have thought of bats, good one "dog blog". I'll wait patiently! to see what animals show up.

Metamatician said...

Thanks for the info about bats, dogblog, and by the way your dog Cashew is the cutest!! I actually don't know a whole lot about bats other than what I've learned about in BBC shows like Planet Earth, Trials of Life, The Life of Mammals, and a few non-BBC shows about caves and bats. I know the fruit bat is also called a flying fox - they are cool because they're not as ugly as other bats (not that I don't like ugly bats, they're fascinating too), and they really do look like small foxes with wings. I'll read up on the whole bat family (except for Bat-man) now so I don't feel ignorant.

Did you know that huge swarms of bats from caves in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona fly out each evening and ascent to anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 feet in altitude to snack on cotton boll worm moths and other insects? This was only discovered fairly recently (10 years ago maybe?) using Doppler radar to track their movements from an airplane. Incredible! Then they have to go return to those smelly feces- and parasite-filled dumps of caves and find their little spot again, yuck.

As far as selecting them for my mock animals competition, I don't think they'd get too far, even vampire bats or fruit bats, because larger birds eat them and I don't imagine they'd be able to conquer much more than insects and maybe some smaller varieties of bird or bat. I'll take it into consideration, though. Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

Hey, something happened to my vote. I said "elephants will win. They will suck everything else up, chew them up and spit them out".

Can't wait to see how this is going to work.

Metamatician said...

ALRIGHT! Drummin' up some interest for the Animal Showdown. Ground rules and the field of 64 announcement coming up today, contests officially starts in a day or two. I know some of you will be surprised!

ByteDoc, Elephants are a good solid pick, but I don't think it's cause they'll "suck everything up." They're not crack addicts! Maybe they're horns and size and strength will keep them in play, though. We'll see. Lol though, that was funny.

Anonymous said...

Aw, Shucks!

JOVIAN said...

i'm pretty sure nematodes will win this battle...in the end.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane