Sunday, May 6

Help! I need somebody....

Actually what I'm trying to figure out is if it's possible, and not too difficult, to stream audio or video from a Blogger post. Actually, it must be, because I've embedded YouTube videos in my posts before. The only thing is I guess you would need some online server space to store your music and video files if you were doing it yourself, because Blogger doesn't provide that space or those tools. Just for pictures. But there is a free-HTML field in the composition window where you could probably drop any kind of "insert X from site Y" code.

The problem is, I'm lame at stuff like this, and I don't know how to do it. I'm sure I would need 1) Some free or cheap online storage, 2) The knowledge of how to stream music or video rather than have the actual file transfered (although that's not a bad idea either, just a copyright violation waiting to happen), 3) The code to drop in the post to tell it to access those streams, and 4) A button or some other kind of control to begin/pause/end the stream.

Those are all separate little mini problems to solve. Any help with any of them would be greatly appreciated. You see dumb sites like MySpace that have embedded streaming content all the time, but then, you have to use MySpace. I like Blogger for its simplicity and lack of advertising, so if it's possible to stay with them that would be best. Also it interfaces seamlessly with Picasa Web Albums, which I plan to use more in the future as my photo collection grows and needs to be organized.

Eventually I suppose the true geeks use TypePad for their blog, Flickr for their photo hosting, and have the blog code as well as any streaming or downloadable files stored on a local (or remote) computer set up to serve it all online. Then you get into Linux and Apache and stuff, and that's where I go "ugh". But it's probably pretty easy once you know how to do it. The problem is, no one I know is any more savvy than I am at this. I'm one of the few I know who even has a blog!

Well, let me know if you stumble by my site and have any useful information. In the meantime I'll do some Googling and try to figure it out slowly on my own. Like a poster said some posts ago, it would be cool if you could hear the song while you're reading the lyrics. And in a larger sense, it would just be cool to have more multimedia options available for different forms of artistic expression: video, music, voice, interactivity.

No comments:

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane