Wednesday, May 2






















Zeroes.
(bowie)

You've arrived in the land of a thousand different names
And the fabulous sons have crashed their planes in flames
Now tomorrow is back claiming redemption is on your heels
And a toothless past is asking you how it feels
And me, my little red Corvette has driven by
Fair weather heart has fallen in
My rainy day girl is feeling down
And she tells me that the world is spinning round...
I say the dream was all for you
You're nobody else
Tonight the Zeroes were singing for you.

Hi, can I walk you home again today?
Gotta get some 'forgive and forget' hey-hey!
Something good is happening and I don't know what it is
Don't you know we're back on trial again today?
And it's breaking wide for you
Hell it's only 'cause you're true
Someone outtimed my heart
Stopping and preaching and letting love in...
You are my moon, you are my sun
Heaven knows what you are
Tonight the Zeroes are singing for you.

Yes they are
Tonight the Zeroes are singing for you.
You're nobody else
Tonight the Zeroes are singing for you.

6 comments:

Hans said...

Guess i need to hear the song, otherwise my comments aren't worth reading. As a poem, I don't get much beyond he's met a girl who he seems to be falling in love with. Cool blue photo and that hand is glowing - but it's not the first thing you see........focus is on his face!

Metamatician said...

Yeah, very cool photo. Yes, very inscrutable lyrics. It would help to hear the song... I don't pretend to understand all his vague references and phrases, but certain ones stand out. I like "You're nobody else" ... and then later in the same spot "Heaven knows what you are." Bowie's a wizard with words, but an abstract one for sure.

Metamatician said...

Bowie's hair over the years might be second only Morrissey's (for men). I always love his cuts. Except in the 70s with the red Ziggy Stardust hair... that was pretty awful. But then, it was that way on purpose. He was portraying an alien come to earth. Sometimes I wonder if there's any real person left in him under all those personas. Being a rock legend, and an artistic one who's gone through so many phases and re-inventions, must be a hard thing to ever escape from. How you do find authenticity after that? People will only see it as another costume, another character. But I like him no matter what, because he's really given his life for art. Never stays complacent or plays Konocti. I think he'll make music till he dies, or retire from it once he's not at the cutting-edge anymore.

Hans said...

I can see you point about losing yourself after a while, but like actors, they know they are playing a part. When they get home, I can imagine they wash out the hair goo, slip into some jammies and watch a good movie. Rod Stewart admits it's all for show - another cool guy!

Metamatician said...

Yeah you're probably right. Might depend on the artist. All people aren't the same. Watching Bowie in interviews now, he seems like a very grounded, normal person. He's been married quite awhile and is always talking about normal things like being a parent and such. I think when he was younger he took himself and his art much more seriously, now he can put it away when he's home, like you say. Seems that way anyhow.

JOVIAN said...

some of the best lyrics ever. of 'course you could say that about a good many of bowie's lyrics. i don't understand why people bag on his albums around this time. oh yeah, it's because people are stupid.

Archived Posts

Search The Meta-Plane